You can type here any text you want

home built adj MSD rpm pill

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

quickstrike

I got tired of never having just the right rpm module for my MSD 2 step rev limiter, and built one.

I was amazed how easy it really was. It even looks good. I used $4.00 worth of parts from Radio shack. It has a knob that I can adjust from any rpm I want, and plugs right into the MSD box.

Sorry just posting this cause I was excited it worked out so well, and wanted to tell someone!
Its the little things!!!!!

Randy

Send me the info

How adjustable is it? I currently use the MSD selector dial to shift my car but the 200 rpm jump is to far apart (I would like to see 25 to 50). I haven't played with solving the problem yet still sorting out other more pressing issues. I would love to have an easy fix so let me know if you would. Thanks Dave

2" X 1" plastic project box

5K potentiometer

couple 6" pieces of wire

heat shrink 1 small the size of the two wires, and 1 big enough to go over an RPM pill.

an old RPM pill(I used an 8000 pill thats useless to me anyway)

I cut the top off of an RPM pill with a dremel tool and picked out the resistor inside. This will expose the 2 terminals that are connected to the pins. solder wires(1 each) to the terminals you have just exposed. I filled mine with clear fast drying epoxy, and then used the large heat shrink to make it pretty and give it strength.

Take the metal plate from the project box and drill and mount the potentiometer in it(comes with jamnut) next drill a smaller hole in the plastic top of the project box for the potentiometer shaft to slide thru. drill a hole on side of box just large enough for 2 wires from your plug you just made. slide them through (dont forget the small heat shrink now) and solder the wires to the pot. There are 3 posts you will only need the center and one of the sides. use an OHM meter to check which ones you will use. It matters because you want your knob to adjust clockwise to increase resistance. screw box together and add some clear silicone where the wires go into the box(waterproof and stability)

finally install any plastic knob with superglue. connect to car and do a few tests with rev limter and make some marks on it at 2, 3, 4, 5 thou rpm etc. I made a small circular label with a sticky backing with my printer once I figured out where the rpm marks were going to be.

Sounds harder than it is. took me less than an hour, and all parts are at Radio shack for a few bucks. Now I have very accurate control of my rev limiter.

Randy

I did it once too, but I used 2 pots and a switch and made it a 2-step deal. All for less than the cost of a single chip from MSD! :rolleyes:

I wish I would have thought about some of this before I bought

2 step rev limiter
adj msd rev limit switch
3 packages of RPM pills

Oh well live and learn.

Randy

How fine is the adjustment?

Sounds like a walk in the park to make just want to know how fine the adjustment is. I only need a range from 5500 to 6500 but I want to be able to fine tune the shifts at aroound 25 to 50 rpm if possible. Thanks for the input. Dave

with a 5K pot it will be difficult to nail down 25 or even 50 rpm. probably every 100 though. To get more accuracy you will need to find a potentiometer that is adj between maybe 5-7 K I am sure you can find one somewhere.

Might be able to use another solid resistor in parallel with the pot to achieve a finer adj. It would take some experimenting.

Randy

Back