You can type here any text you want

HotWire Ignorance

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BFlat

Tank is out. Ready to install Walbro 255lph pump. Will it run in a stock GN with the factory wiring?
I have a hotwire kit. Thought I'd delay installing until I confirm that the pump works with no leaks.
Regarding the hotwire; It still uses the factory wiring harness from the pump to the HW hookup, correct?
If the purpose is to beef up the wiring to the pump, aren't the stock wires from the pump to the HW a weak link?
Thanks

Yes it will work for testing.
The hot wire uses a fat new red wire to supply pump power from the alternator post through a relay contact, the factory wires are used to trigger the new relay only and don't carry the fuel pumps current , excepting the ground wire, but that is a shorter run to the pump. Make sure the ground is upgraded as well for best results. A gas tank strap wire to the rear frame works if the frame is grounded up front to the battery.

Thanks. Anything electrical baffles me. Guessing the ground wire is the black one in the pic. How do I upgrade it? Clip it, splice in another & run it to the frame? I’m getting the grounding strap for the battery to frame upfront, but not sure what to do at the rear of the car. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Ground Wire.jpg
    Ground Wire.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
You are correct, it’s only as good as the stock wires in the tank.
You can beef those up too.

Thanks. Anything electrical baffles me. Guessing the ground wire is the black one in the pic. How do I upgrade it? Clip it, splice in another & run it to the frame? I’m getting the grounding strap for the battery to frame upfront, but not sure what to do at the rear of the car. Thanks for your help.
Preferably you would splice it, heat shrink it, & run a ground wire all the way back to the battery.

I did mine(DW400) & took a 10ga wire from the sending unit/ground wire to a DIN rail I have that’s connected to the ground(negative) terminal of the battery.

I went crazy on my grounds though. Negative battery cable on block to frame, negative on battery to DIN rail, DIN rail to a secondary DIN rail on firewall where my TR6 is grounded along with many interior(gauges wideband, etc) items are also grounded. Plus I moved all of the grounds from the back of the pass. head to the intake.

Can’t have too many grounds to me. Sorry for the thread hijack.

Original plan was to replace the pump with the Walbro 255lph and use the stock carrier/sending unit. Instead, I’m getting the Racetronix GEN w 255lph with carrier/unit for factory digital dash. It’s only money, right. Thanks for all your replies.

On my Walbro 255, the pumps outlet size is larger than the tube inlet size on the stock hanger. The stock hanger also has a rolled smaller end to aid installation of the hose at the factory, and it is over a 30% restriction! I couldn't get any hose that fit the pump to seal the hanger hose nipple.
Being anal, I checked for leaks there before installing the pump by filling a coffee can with WD-40 (it doesn't explode) and deadheading the outlet with a 150 psi gauge. That checks for leaks there and pump outlet pressure. I couldn't find any size or type hose that worked without leaking!
Initially I removed the roll crimp to allow better flow, but when I realized that every hose and clamp type I tried, leaked, I wondered if many are using a bigger pump than required because of leaks there. If you don't check for leaks before installing the pump/hanger, you would never know, as the leak is inside the tank.
My solution was to cut off the swaged smaller and roll crimped end of the tube and sliding a larger size tube inside with a small bubble flare to help seal the hose. Common copper tubing solder and Flux works fine. Clean all of the residual gas and fumes from the tube so you don't ignite it!
I made the bubble flare by using a double flaring tool and not bottoming out the first insert tool.
It's hard to see in the pics, but the tube I soldered in the hanger tube is about .080" bigger than the old swaged smaller end and doesn't have the very small rolled inlet end either.
The resultant hole size is over 30% larger in area and the tube is larger too.
TIMINATOR

Attachments

• 20230928_165917.jpg
    20230928_165917.jpg
    923.1 KB · Views: 12
Back