How did you buy your Grand National?

$900, didn't run. Unhooked the driveshaft and towed it home with my dad. I was lucky I picked it up when I did. The guy pushed out in his backyard and im sure it would of rotted away if it was out there any longer.

I traded in a perfectly good '84 Monte SS for mine in 1986.

I took a hosing on the trade-in and financed the rest through GMAC that was offering a sweet deal at the time.....7.9%!!!:redface:

1986 GN w/ t-tops and ROWL Eagle GTs....life was good!:D

first

I got my first buick (87 limited) in a trade for a 1980 el-camino...with a solid roller cammed 409 small block :) The guy was nice enough to give me the title and finance the rest ($5000). I couldn't complain as the guy gave me $12,000 in receipts for the car.

recently sold the limited for $3,000 :(........+ a 87 t-type ;) can't complain; though I AM still paying on that first car though.......

Had the insurance settlement from when my 86 442 got stolen and totalled in the ensuing police chase (way back when cops actually were allowed to chase criminals), had almost decided on a monte carslo when the sales manager calls me into his office to ask would I be willing to take a car to Greensboro for a dealer exchange, said I could keep the car over the weekend, just turn it in Monday morning when I came in to work (Star Buick, Durham NC). So the car I picked up in Greensboro was a silver 87 T, kept the car over the weekend and walked into the sales manager's office and tossed him a check. Wound up having to finance about 3 or 4 grand I think but GMAC had 3.9% interest at that time so by mid 89 it was paid in full.

My mother actually bought the car the day of my senior prom(15 yrs ago). She knew I was in love with these cars, but she used it for quite some time as her daily driver.

She ended up buying a corvette last year and gave it to me. Smoked tranny, 113K mile Hot Air car. Since then the tranny has been rebuilt, engine rebuilt and converted to 86/87 setup. Working on the interior now, paint is next.

How have I paid for the resto/mods??? Idiots playing poker online :biggrin:

I found my original car in a junk yard for $2200. It was rusty as hell and needed work.

Then I bought a body from Mike McCoy and did a full frame off restoration.

About 4 parts cars, 4 motors, 5 trans rebuilds later the car is almost where I want it.

I bought mine from a guy whose fiance had told him to buy a Saturn before they got married.

Poor poor bastard.

Went over to the 1st gulf war for 6 months or so...banked every penny of the tax free money with all the extra duty pay...called the seller in LA. from Saudi Arabia on my 1 moral call for the week...came back state side 5 days later and dropped $5500 cash for a 48k mile 1 owner 1986 GN; this was 1991. Kept the car for 13 years and sold it for $17,500.00.

Paid cash for the car. The mods was mostly from over time until the motor went south. Now I'm selling everything I own on ebay to help fund the new motor :eek: Buicks are very cool cars but their not cheap. You have to do most of the work your self as well. I wouldn't suggest having one as an only car either. Just a few things to keep in mind.

Went over to the 1st gulf war for 6 months or so...banked every penny of the tax free money with all the extra duty pay...called the seller in LA. from Saudi Arabia on my 1 moral call for the week...came back state side 5 days later and dropped $5500 cash for a 48k mile 1 owner 1986 GN; this was 1991. Kept the car for 13 years and sold it for $17,500.00.

This is almost exactly what I did while I was in Afghanistan last year. I found the car on Collector Car Trader :: Buy and Sell Antique Cars, Classic Cars, Muscle Cars and emailed the seller in December. I wired $3,500 down to hold the car until March when I got home and paid the last $11,000 cash. I'm really sceptical about buying car4s online but it was a good transaction overall.

I'm waiting for someone to say they stole theirs! just kidding of course...;)

I traded my ole Mint Freshed Painted 97 Cobra Convertible for my current Stocker GN. And I have not an Inkling of Regret.... Love my GN!

I found mine in the Deals on Wheels magazine my buddy was sending me from the CONUS...it was already a week or so old by the time I got it, so I was sceptical the car would be still for sale. I remember the dude saying "Where are you calling me from, you sound like your half way around the world, I can barely here you." At first he didn't believe me that was calling him from Saudi Arabia...he thought that was pretty cool. The dude was really a nice guy going through a nasty divorce and didn't want the X to get the car. His other car was a new Stealth twin turbo that she couldn't make the payment on, so he didn't thing she would try to take that one. The guy handed me 4+ years of dealer service receipts for the car as well as every other receipt for anything else he bought or did. The car was actually special ordered by him as a hardtop with NO power anything, and no posi....truely a lightweight! Anyhow, a buddy of mine on the East coast has the car now....he bought it from the guy who got it from me.

gn

I sold a 347 stroke mustang to but mine from my uncle. He was the original owner. I always loved the car so once he uttered the words "for sale" I couldn't resist. I've done alot to the car since I purchased it. My uncle has gone on to a 2006 GTO heads, cam, n2o car.

Got my first one in 86 from the ins co .. 10k miles for $3,888.88 (sealed bid). had a dent in the door :eek: .. cash in hand .. Dammm that car took a beating .. had a very hard life... totally destroyed a few years later.. became my 3rd parts car :p

Attachments

• 86gn1.jpg
    86gn1.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 95
I am on my 5th one with my first being in about '95 or so, and at at least 1 has always been in my possession since then, and 3 once owned all at the same time. Cash on all, even though a couple were bought when cash was sort of tight in my household, mods all cash too. And now I am looking for another one possibly. Actually, I am, I just can't find the right one. Some day maybe I will find the right one. I am too cheap to finance anything. Good luck to all, I've had many performance vehicles, both cars & motorcycles over the years, since about '68 or so, and the turboBuicks are the coolest ones of all.

How did I buy it? Cheap! These things are expensive! :eek:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/turbo-lounge/155171-i-saved-t-type-not-just-normal-one.html

Got that one for 2500.

Just bought a GN with T Tops that needs more work than my T Type. I tried to sell it recently on ebay since there was more work that needed to be done to it than I was told by the guy I bought if off of. Like as in he told me the engine and trans was fine. The engine needed many little things to get it running and then I come to find out the trans is beyond dead. Someone actually stole the entire valve body out of it. Its trashed. I got pissed and tried to off it. It didn't sell and in the meantime I found some stuff for it to get it better looking so it might get a second wind. ;)

how to finance gn

Finance company two years ago 86gn for 4500.00 ,interest was high but had to have it at that price.:eek: :eek: :eek: