How does SD chip calculate MAF?

Flyin Brian

Does anyone know how realistic the calculated MAF rate is on the TurboTweak SD chip? Does it take my cubic inch into account? I just got my SD chip and was wondering how the MAF rate relates to horsepower. I have the IAT in the doghouse. I really love the SD chip by the way. It has solved alot of problems for me. I should have switched sooner!

It uses the speed density calculation to calc airflow. However, in the SD chip, there are other correction factors that happen after airflow is calc'd, so I would not rely on it to calc horsepower with.
Eric

cool. So I could do the wideband version later as an upgrade so I could command the fuel curve? I don't have to have that out the gate? Just the 3bar and powerlogger.

cool. So I could do the wideband version later as an upgrade so I could command the fuel curve? I don't have to have that out the gate? Just the 3bar and powerlogger.
The SD chip has wideband capability but you don't have to use it. You can tune it really close in SD mode and it will run great. You can then add the wideband O2 and run it is closed loop and it will try to hit the AF ratio you program in. I still have not tried wideband closed loop mode yet but plan to do so when I finish getting it running perfect in SD mode.

You should really have a wideband with the sd chip. It's easy for a chip maker to determine a/f @ WOT. But your fuel trim might have to be adjusted. You should put a wideband on it and log during normal cruising, up hills and downhills... Then write in your log book and makes adjustments from there.

SD chip is great!

Joe

I have a LM1 I use for tuning...just don't want to permanently install. You know? I just want the option to not have to do it and it still run stronger than now.

I would not use the SD chip without a wideband permanently installed. The SD chip setup does not necessarily make more power. Some people like the extra tuning features, expecially for racing, which is what the chip was intended for.
Eric

yeah...but I would think considering I'm running 25psi with a s-hat adapted down to a 3" maf pipe and stock buick MAF that I would see a whp gain by going with a 4inch intake pipe straight to a filter...would I not?

yeah...but I would think considering I'm running 25psi with a s-hat adapted down to a 3" maf pipe and stock buick MAF that I would see a whp gain by going with a 4inch intake pipe straight to a filter...would I not?

You will notice better spoolup and throttle response with the addition of the sd chip. With my 4" intake pipe, turbo spooled a little faster over my 3" too.

My experience is with the Turbo Trans am. I wanted the sd chip so I could get rid of extra plumbing. You guys have much more room in the Turbo Buicks to work with. Also, we dont have a grill like GN. Its a mystery how the TTA's get air.lol So getting rid of the stock maf frees up another restriction. On a GN, its not a big restriction.

Joe