how does your car start first thing in the morning?

Vendor Defendor

Out the window
i dont know if it is just my car that starts like this or if it is just a TurboBuick thing.. i have never been around ome one elses car while it warms up.

but when i first start my car, it seems to rev pretty high, i would say 2200 maybe a little more maybe a little less, so say +/- 200 rpms. it slowly climbs down starts to sputter a little bit, like its going to stall, then back up to the 2200 range, same thing sputters a little bit, the whole car starts to kinda shake because its idling so low.. stalls... fire it back up, 2200 backs down, starts to stall, sputters, stalls, repeats this. it dosent always go like this, but something along those lines.. and if i step on the brake, it seems to shut the choke off almost and it starts to sputter and stall....

almost like trying to start a carburated car on a cold morning...

is it only my car that does this? or is it a genral turbo buick thing?

maybe (if this isnt normal) that bigger injectors will help?

:confused:

well clue me in on what you car is like..

thanks

-Neil

Park mine for two weeks....hit the starter and vroom...starts right up at about 800 rpms. Got a slight chop to it, some black smoke, figure it's burning off the fuel that drained out of the injectors...but its' very minimal.

I did have it a few weeks back just like you but new plugs,clean and adjust IAC and TPS adj and it idles super at startup now.Just go thru and verify everything you will find it.

Originally posted by TurboBuickSix
I did have it a few weeks back just like you but new plugs,clean and adjust IAC and TPS adj and it idles super at startup now.Just go thru and verify everything you will find it.

humm never thought about cleaning the IAC, is it hard? what is involved in pulling it out? and then what do i clean it with? brake cleaner?

the TPS is set pretty close to right, like .46-48 at idle, but i cant seem to get the IAC in one place, it seems to 'adjust itself' like one day i will set it at about 25-30 and the next day it will be above 35. whats up with that?

some one said something about spindles some where... dont know what that is about

thanks

-Neil

What RPM a TR will hit on initial startup is mostly controlled by the IAC park step settings in the chip. The factory specs are set pretty high and allow quite a bit of air flow thus the high initial idle b4 coming down. Mine used to also hit 1800-2000 when started and after just a few chip adjustments it now starts, hits about 1100 then settles into the programmed cold idle settings around 850 in about 5-10 seconds. No need for the high run up as most of us aer no longer trying to heat up the cat :cool:

So just have your chip vendor work on that a little. You can clean and reset your IAC till you go mad but the chip will always reset to the park value. fyi

HTH

What he said. My stock chip did that, but didn't rev quite that high. Usually would stall on cold start. Got a Red Armstrong chip, and it got much better. Got a Thrasher and startup is smooth as glass.

My car does the same as yours ..only when it is cold out which in California is below 50......very high idle at startup..then almost stalls..that is with the stock chip...it is much better with the Trasher 92 chip....but I get knock with it because of the lousy gas out here......

alright, well in two weeks i am getting a bunch of parts for my car, a turbo, injectors and alky, and i am getting two chips with it. so maybe when i do all that stuff all my problems will disappear. :confused:

ersim1, i noticed when my car starts to stall it also gets some knock counts... kinda odd. but i figured it was false knock becasue of the engine shaking in such away. but my car does it when its 90+ degrees out... below 50? whats that? :confused:

next time i fire her up i will watch the RPM's on the scan master.. maybe its not at high as i think....

thanks for the help

-Neil

I see your problem,reset the tps to .44 or lower at idle and make sure when you start the car it don't go over .44 with the extra volts the alt is now giving it.I had this trouble real bad when I first got my chips from Jay Carter.I told him my idle was going crazy and he asked about the TPS volts at idle.I followed his advice and set is to spec and the idle roller coaster stopped.He explained the ecm has to see those volts .44 or lower at idle or it thinks you have the throttle slightly open and gets confused and then tries to fix it but it just gets worse.Mine was ok with the car off but with the alternator spinning they would drift over the limit the back down and up etc.. good luck

i will try that tomorrow, but i probably will just screw the TPS up worse than it is.. oh well i will give it my best shot.