You can type here any text you want

How easy to replace dash speakers?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tom Tom Turbo

Turbo Goes Woo Woo
Ok, I've had it...the dash speakers are blown and they need to be replaced. How easy is it to drop new ones in? I'm just going to buy GM replacements for $23 a pair. Is it something that I can do or should I have Best Buy screw it up? :rolleyes:

If you have the right tools you should be able to pull it off no problem.

You'll need a torx bit (not sure what size it is, maybe someone will chime in with the size)
STUBBY (Really stubby) phillips screw driver or a right angle driver that a phillips bit will go into.

I'm just going to buy GM replacements for $23 a pair
Sorry to be blunt, but... Why replace a garbage speaker with a new garbage speaker?? Spend a few $$ extra and get a decent set of replacements. Not only will they sound much better but they will last alot longer.

When you bolt the plastic dash cover back on, do not tignten those torx bolts real tight. If you do, the dash will crack (if it hasn't already.) Other than that, piece of cake.

I believe it is a torx T-10 size.
The hard part is the phillips screw on either side holding the speaker in. Hopefully you can find something to get in there. What I did, in a pinch, is to put a bit into a socket and turn it with a pair of vise grips to start the screw. They should come out by finger force after you get them started.
If buying GM replacements, the wiring will be the exact same setup. But, if you do decide to upgrade (why not?? factory GM sucks anyway) you will either need a plug-in harness (from best buy or whatever install shop) because the leads on the GM speaker and on upgrades are totally different.

Swt_86...yeah Best Buy already took the priveledge of cracking my dash. I don't know what the hell they were doing up there when they put in my CD player:rolleyes: But anyway, I found a loose wire, and that is why the speakers weren't working. I find it weird that after 16 years a wire just comes loose now?!?!? WTF

Back