You can type here any text you want

How hard is it to get the factory acessory brackets to work with Stage 2 heads??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

rking

Well, I finally made the big jump into the Stage 2 world. I am going to run stage 2 heads and I was wondering what kind of problems I am going to run into when I try to make the factory acessory brackets work. Will I need to construct my own? Are there any secrets? I want to keep the functionality of the car. I have not yet made the decision of going either single or twin turbo. I know going twin with the acessories may be almost impossible, but can it be done? Thanks alot

I tried to snipe ya..but you won. :) You can run the stock accessory brackets with no major problems with the single turbo ATR headers (the A/C box needs to be clearanced; ATR sells a kit). If you run twins, you'll have to build custom brackets as well as lose the A/C box. I am about to start work on my bracketry..I will take pictures of whatever I come up with and post 'em. I am eliminating power steering and the A/C box is gone, but I plan on running an alternator and a Sanden street rod style A/C compressor.

Kendall,

You're gonna need that A/C because your gonna be breaking a sweat steering that car on the street without P/S.

I have the manual box on my car, but I just drive around 1/4 mile at a time.

Dave

Kendall, is itthe headers themselves that get in the way?? Reason i ask is that I will be using ATR TT headers with a single turbo. I am going to fab a rams head that will put the turbo near the stock location. I know it will clear the heater box, and i was thinking i might have to also fab a new acc. bracket, just would like to ow if i deffinately do. There was no way i was going to pull the motor to take headers off (ATR single headers).

Originally posted by turbodave231
You're gonna need that A/C because your gonna be breaking a sweat steering that car on the street without P/S.

I go to the gym every day with that sole purpose...so I can steer the car :D I had some thoughts of retaining the P/S but I'm looking for a manual box right now. Just how bad is yours?

Originally posted by GNSCOTT
Kendall, is itthe headers themselves that get in the way?? Reason i ask is that I will be using ATR TT headers with a single turbo. I am going to fab a rams head that will put the turbo near the stock location. I know it will clear the heater box, and i was thinking i might have to also fab a new acc. bracket, just would like to ow if i deffinately do. There was no way i was going to pull the motor to take headers off (ATR single headers).

I guess the ATR twins might clear the heater box..have you tried? I don't have ATR headers and mine would not clear. They come out a little more than the ATRs near the heads. My headers do come out toward the front in about the same location as the ATRs, which is basically right through the middle of the accessory bracket. You might be able to chop it up and run the alternator above the header and the P/S below but the A/C will have to go elsewhere. Take a look here at mine:

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/frederik...p&.src=ph&.dnm=twin+headers+pic+3.jpg&.view=t

Those headers come out alot. I think my ATR's are more of a straight shot foreward so the heater box should be ok, but it makes my chances of having to fab a bracket even higher. I'm hoping w/ no AC compressor, i can sneak it by. Hopefully in a week or 2 , i can have a picture like yours:D

Go to the Gym everyday? Geez you weightlifters are hard on parts!! One of my employees(the big ugly one who goes to all the races with me) works out every day and I guarantee there isnt a nut or bolt made he cant wring off!
Anyway the stock brackets work great with ATR singles.On the twin cars we have built, the alt hangs from a stud screwed into the bottom bolt hole in the head and we use an aluminum spacer cut to the correct length(use a straight edge accross the crank pulley and alt pulley to determine how long it will be) You can use a piece of tubing with rt and lt threads in it and two hiem ends for belt adjustment, attached to a tab welded to the frame SOLID MOUNTS ONLY. As far as the AC goes, I couldnt help you on a twin car....
Bill Anderson

Kendall,

A late model S-10 manual box is a bolt-in if you reuse your GN pitman arm. You won't be doing any high speed slaloms with a manual box......really not too bad for occassional driving, but I would not consider it for everyday driving. Manual steering really cleans up the engine compartment!

I am going with the ATR single turbo headers and stock alt bracket, belt tensioner, and Mezziere H20 pump (no PS or AC).

So what kind of mods would have to be done to get the brackets to work on a single turbo, stage 2 headed, motor. Do the heads have to be tapped in order for the brackets to be bolted down? I dont have the heads in front of me to look at, so just a couple of questions. TIA

Like Bill said with the single turbo ATR headers all the brackets work:) There are some used sets floating around:) I bought mine from Kendall:) I saw a good bumper sticker at the track for ya Kendall
(If ya want to lift go to the jim) LOL
I hate bracket racing

Back