You can type here any text you want

How long can I get by running 25psi ????

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

RatFink

PutTheNeedleOnTheRecord!
Ok, so last weekend I went for a drive and the car was running great. It feels stronger than ever, of course it's freakin cold out. So I turn it up to 25psi, with no knock...How long will this unopened motor take that before it goes
bye1.gif
? 34K miles, and I've "enjoyed" the car if you "know what I mean" My bro says to turn it down to 23psi for longevity, but I'm greedier than Scrooge when it comes to no knock efficient boost.
Well?

As long as there is no knock at all.... I would leave it alone. Just make sure you put zip ties on ALL vacuum lines and keep it a little rich. And dont get stupid with it. Should last a while. When people turn boost,fuel,timing up or down all the time they end up exploding shiot.

You need to have GOOD oil pressure and quality oil. IMO, it's just a matter of time before you spin a rod bearing (or two) at those boost levels. The car WILL spin rod bearings with just the slightest amout of knock. I've had first hand experience with this driving Bo's old car. (now his new car):wink:

I talked to Dan Strezo about these crazy boost levels and he said he would not run more than 20psi on a stock block. He's an old head buick guy and I take his advice seriously.

25psi is fun while it lasts though!;)

You need to have GOOD oil pressure and quality oil. IMO, it's just a matter of time before you spin a rod bearing (or two) at those

25psi is fun while it lasts though!;)

I've always used Mobile 1 Synthetic always. oil is always fresh and changed before need be, about every 3000 or less, tranny oil always fresh too. oil pressure always good. How far can a car limp with a spun rod bearing? Dumb question? far enough to get to a flat bed? haha. Yeah, there is a seat of the pant "feel" betweet 20 and 25 psi.
thanks for input.:D

don't run over 20#'s on a stock block??? wtf! I'm going with grumpy on this one. I think if you aren't knocking I wouldn't get to worried, but I wouldn't keep turning it up much past that on a stock engine even if it's not knocking unless you don't mind looking at the crank in the rear view mirror. :D

I figure that I need to run this bigger turbo up to 25psi to get the benefit of getting it. If I kept the TE44 then maybe I should only run 23psi, but it's my understanding that these bigger turbos need to be ran at higher boost levels to justify the expence. If I blow it up, then I guess it'll be a good reason to get the internals upgraded and port the heads/cam, so I can blow it again.:eek: :biggrin:

25#'s of boost

I have run more than 25 #s on the street with no problem as long as there is no knock. But have one vacuum line pop off or split and you have problems, so follow the advice already given and zip tie the lines and make sure they are all new. I know from experience, I found out the hard way and all my lines were zip tied in place.

As long as everything stays in place and you have no knock then go for it, but there is no margin for error at boost levels 25 #s and above..

As long as your alky is working fine you shouldn't have any problems and as long as your not pumping 25# for more than a few seconds on the street...by then you should have already blown the doors off most anything and then let up...provided you are seeing no knock, at those levels the motor cannot tolerate much. With various 61 series turbos I didn't have any more benefit of running anything more than 25# and I tested various ones from 20-28# of boost ...but with various exhaust housings and exhaust wheels you may find out differently, but with stock non-ported heads I doubt there will be anything worth the risk. Leave it at 23-25 and enjoy :)

As long as your alky is working fine you shouldn't have any problems and as long as your not pumping 25# for more than a few seconds on the street...by then you should have already blown the doors off most anything and then let up...provided you are seeing no knock, at those levels the motor cannot tolerate much. With various 61 series turbos I didn't have any more benefit of running anything more than 25# and I tested various ones from 20-28# of boost ...but with various exhaust housings and exhaust wheels you may find out differently, but with stock non-ported heads I doubt there will be anything worth the risk. Leave it at 23-25 and enjoy :)

10-4, sounds good to me! I think I will let it rip ASAP!
Thanks for the reply!

I figure that I need to run this bigger turbo up to 25psi to get the benefit of getting it. If I kept the TE44 then maybe I should only run 23psi, but it's my understanding that these bigger turbos need to be ran at higher boost levels to justify the expence. If I blow it up, then I guess it'll be a good reason to get the internals upgraded and port the heads/cam, so I can blow it again.:eek: :biggrin:

Generally speaking, bigger turbos push more air at lower boost levels- so the performance @ 23psi on the 44 may be the same as a 66 @ 19 psi.

Whatever the turbo- no knock, good fuel= let the bodies hit the floor!

As long as Ur willing to take the risk, go ahead. But don't kid Urself - there is a risk, as a number have found out. What U hope is that U just blow a head gasket - and with the puny 8 bolts that we have, that isn't difficult. Just because others have gotten away w it doesn't mean that U will. We're on the edge here.

lots of good opinions here...I've had the same question for a while.....25# is a lot of fun...but I've since turned her down to 20# simply because I can't afford to break anything major at the moment:( .....I did however beat up a cobra pretty bad a few days ago...so 20# pretty fun too!

Run 'er hard....clean up da mess later!

X2 !!!! we are allways checking stuff to see if we "see" a problem .. Hell prob half the cars out there I wouldn't even floor :eek: Cars do break !!! it's not if they will break BUT WHEN THEY WILL BREAK!! we run "lotsa" boost on the street... IF your afraid of breaking it leave it in the garage :biggrin:

My buick is pushing 520-550 hp stock bottom I drove it 2500@23psi I turd it up 25psi and only drove it 340miles spun a rod berring turn it DOWN!!!!!!!!!

I have been running 25-26 lbs with a GT67P, 60# and Alky for a year on a stock bottom end. Zero knock. I don't rack up much mileage, but I do make sure to keep an eye on the Scanmaster. I admit, you are taking a chance without bottom end support and stock head design, but it makes driving a whole lotta fun. You can blow up any engine at any power level with a poor tune. Just weigh the risks and live with your choices. With the Powermaster headaches I have had this year, I am more concerned about stopping this bullet rather than going any faster.

Until this happens
41882d1201670444-todays-fontana-pics-broken-20crank-20-282-29.jpg

Like most said - poor tune an you can pop on low boost. I've been running north of 20 #'s since 1989 and I'm still on the factory headgaskets :eek:
I'm on some serious borrowed time.:D

... IF your afraid of breaking it leave it in the garage :biggrin:

I'm more afraid of leaving it in the garage than breaking it. If I ever get to that point, I may as well jump! 25 it is!:cool:

Back