How many 84gn's are left?

Old thread. I've been away from the forum a while. Not sure why. I drive my 84 weekly. It's got 140k on it. Not stock but still hot air. I hit the drag strip maybe 5 times a year.

This August I won our local turbo event called turbo thunder. We we're bracket racing so I wasn't the fastest but I was super consistent and did accidentally pull a 12.80 on a 13 dial in. Luckily the other guy red lit.

This winter I'll tune it to run sup 12.5 and see how it likes that.
What have you done to it to pull a 12.80?

I own a '84, i have had the engine rebuilt with better internals 'throttle body, pistons, intake, injectors, crank, etc. The guy i got it from installed a '86/'87 turbo on it. I

What have you done to it to pull a 12.80?
The list is long regarding what's been done to the car. But to get below 13 I increased boost and added fuel until I needed something else to add more boost and fuel. So I ended up with alky, 60lb injectors, ta33 turbo, and all the stuff to monitor parameters while I hit the boost.

I think it's more important to have a happy car with no knock than have any specific parts.

In case you haven't seen this.

Jerry - I heard you might be the best Houston hot air expert. Do I have the right guy? I'm in Houston, and am having a problem with my '84 T. You free to talk? 281.745.3761 - Drake [Of course, anyone that has knowledge about this car in particular what appears to be an ignition issue, I'd appreciate your help - thanks]

A handful received that option... so not too many. I have seen 3 thus far besides mine.
I have one - it's a silver car. Trying to find some help to address an ignition problem. If you know anyone in the Houston area, please let me know.

Try the crank sensor, better upgrade to a '86-'87 sensor. Also fuel pressure, coil pack and check to see if it's getting any fire.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Try the crank sensor, better upgrade to a '86-'87 sensor. Also fuel pressure, coil pack and check to see if it's getting any fire.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Appreciate the response! I’ll try those issues. Any videos that might provide guidance ?

I should probably tell more about what's going on - the car starts just fine. As you accelerate the car sputters a bit almost like the timing is off. The car can be driven but if you play a bit with the accelerator, again, it sputters. I unplugged the MAF while parked and the car bogged down immediately. So, while idling I believe the MAF is working properly. Should I focus on the coil pack? Thoughts? I have had this car since HS. This car is great except when it's not working! Thanks!

I'M a Newbie also with A1984 W/ A TH 400 Bolted to It . I have total respect for all of your Beautiful Buicks , but alas I am not a Purist. Wait till you see what I Bought It In ? It was A total rebuild ~ 18 to 20 years ago. 17,300 miles since , but mostly garage kept in Nevada.Any way , Here's a pic of my new engine :
1975-Jeep-CJ-5.jpg

I"m try'n a Zip Pic file here..........

Attachments

• 1272018cj5forumhelppics.zip
    22 bytes · Views: 38
Sorry , I wasn't thinking
IMAG0325.jpg
clearly... It's wwwwwaaaaaay to cold out there for Fall !

I'M a Newbie also with A1984 W/ A 7004R Bolted to It . Cannot find a Tag for the Year . I'm hoping it's the 30 Spline ? I have total respect for all of your Beautiful Buicks , but alas I am not a Purist. Wait till you see what I Bought It In ? It was A total rebuild ~ 18 to 20 years ago. 17,300 miles since , but mostly garage kept in Nevada.Any way , Here's a pic of my new engine : View attachment 332156
1975-Jeep-CJ-5.jpg
IMAG0329.jpg

Last edited:
I Believe the soot is from the Exhaust Inlet Pipe at the Adapter Machined Surface . Should I try the Rivera gasket there our just do a Good RTV Job ???? Thanks to anyones advice , In advance!