You can type here any text you want

How many folks still have the original tires on their car?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

rob j

Just curious. My 87 GN has 16k miles on it, and it still rolls on the factory delivered 24 year old tires. Remarkably, they are still in nice shape.

Interesting question. I don't know that I'd feel safe on rubber that old. I'm thinking about replacing my 1999 tires even though they still have 3/4 tread left. :)

I wish I still had the original tires, nothing quite looks like them nowadays with that big, blocky Goodyear Eagle tread design. With that said, I dont know how many 100mph+ sprints Id be doing down the highway with them if I were you. I just took some BFG G-Force KDW's off of my GTA wheels that were brand new in '06. They had 8/32 left and were cracked to hell:D

I have the original tires on my 21,500 mile GN. They are in pretty good shape with decent tread on them. I will be putting new tires on it before driving it this year, I just dont trust tires that old. I will keep them though :cool:

Nick

Any tire over 9-10 years old beware of,at speed the cords can seperate. It'll happen more with radials over baisply if the car sit's for long periods. It's called "flat spotting' the car's weight will deform the radial patteren, then at speed while driving will seperate,you'll notice a bumpy ride before hand if it tears slow.if tears fast,Look Out!!

Enjoy!

If I was lucky enough to have the original tires with good tred the they would not be on my car, they would be bagged in safe storage:cool:

3 of my last 5 Gns have had origional tires.... but I wouldnt drive very fast on them.... they were garage virgins anyway

My 86 still has the original tires on it with 80K on the car! :biggrin: Well I cheated a little bit... they have been in climate controlled storage for about 18 years! :p The tires that is. They are horrible holding the power to the ground but shockingly they roll pretty good. Smooth and quiet. Not hard or dry rotted. I think they had about 9K on them when they came off the car and went into storage years ago. I even drove on the highway in a heavy rain storm and they did well. Had to have that stock original look. :cool:

4776852567_5f7c5aaa3e_o.jpg

should get a hold of corky coker and see if he would remake these tires or the bfg comp ta.

Back