how many people get tired of there TR

6-b-kwik

getting back in it
im not real sure what to say? but i just got back from taking the car out for a ride and i hated every minute of it!! i guess i am getting sick of it? i left it broke for 2yrs because i lost intrest.now it is back on the road and i dont know if i feel the same about the car! dont get me wrong it is a nice car and fast i am not sure if it beacuse it need's the tune tweaked a lil?maybe because i dont get any good races anymore? i dont know what to do maybe just put it away and build a strong mid 10 sec motor with all the other goodies! i love collecting buick diecast and related stuff!! but i think when it comes to having one it like blah!! i owned the car 6yrs and put 10,000 miles on it..o well sorry for rant and such,but does anyone else feel the same once in awhile? maybe i just need a good boost run!!

100_0624.jpg

yup... I just sold my last one in May .. had these cars since the intercooled ones came out ...wife, daughter, son and I all had them .. had a winter fleet of them to .. awesome car but after 20 years it was time for a change:eek: I don't miss it a bit .. of course Melissa still has 2 so I get to drive them if I get the urge :p

well im brand new as of july and ive spent countless hrs so far tracking down phantom vac leaks, idle probs, sticky injectors, damn heavy doors that now require one of them plates ive seen on gnbodyparts.com.

i can get into either of my vettes, start em up an go, they run the same every day and ive been finding out with this buhog that every day is a new adventure and now my powermaster motor has a short.

but the big kicker is all the brothers eye ball it so i dont even want to take it to the store for 5 mins, i have 2 kill switches hidden but that wont prevent them from tearing up the columm.

so for right now im sinking money into it, guess ask me next fall if ive had enough..lol

all i know is that everyone tells me never to sell my TR. i guess sometimes i miss the v8 sbc that roars and smokes the tires instantaneously when i nail it..... but the tr is so quiet and such a sleeper. i like both... 2 totally different feelings. that's why i'd like to have all three: a big block 4 speed car, a turbo regal, and a sbc w/ a 4500 stall and 3.90 gears that runs high 10s. i have the first two right now. i just sold the last one.... but oh do i plan on building another!!

hate em 2

money pits, leak monsters, pia cars. I want a modern car with some power. Tired of the headaches. Just got to change if you get tired of it. I want a little M with a 76 mm at 15 psi and drag radials in a 88 monte ss or either a 09 camaro with a tt kit. Love the roar of the v8. Tired of the bumble bee v6 sound as well.

Back in the early 90's when I had my 1st TR (that was stolen in 95-96 when I was deployed), I loved that car until I saw the syclone and the typhoon. I raced a TY and it was the only thing that could even keep up! I thought about trading but never did.

After that car was stolen, I was heartbroken and tried to find a replacement but these were the days before google so I settled for a 300zx (I had always wanted the TT version). Unfortunately I only got the N/A one 'cause the TT's that I found were always red (yuk).

Anyway, after some recent accomplishments, I decided it was time to come back to the darkside... I have 4 of these money pits in my driveway as we speak. One is all original, the other three sound and act like angry V-8's. I rarely ever drive them, can't take them anywhere except cruise shows because I'm so fanatical about security...

Nevertheless, I can't wipe the stupid grin off my face everytime I drive one of these beasts... Last "race" I had was embarrasing. Young kid driving grandpa's built Nova/chevelle (?) It was dark and all I saw was orange paint and lots of chomre coming out of the hood ( grandpa was sitting next to him- had some hi-rise something or other coming out of the hood and sounded mean as hell). Anyway, I don't think he expected some old regal to eat his lunch. It was ugly.

Anyway, all that rambling aside, I cannot imagine these cars as a daily drivers anymore; just too many issues with these cranky cars. (My old one was a DD but it was only a few years old)

Buy yourself a regular car for everyday crap and only take the TR on the weekends and for special occasions. If you sell it you'll regret it. Park her for a while and get the tune right. Add a nice electric exhaust cut-out (it sounds awesome), maybe some alky... My GN is affectionately called "Angry Black". When we go out for a spin we are in full kill mode. Don't get too much action but it's still a blast to lay some rubber now and again.

You have a nice looking ride, unique. Why look like every other schmo out there with a mustang or camaro?

P.S. If you don't want the car anymore, I'm running an orphanage for TR's, send her on over, I'm sure I can find some room...:p

Oh I hear ya guys. Mine isn't close to finished and only drove it for one week after I fixed it. Fun to go out and romp on when the feeling arises but just going for a normal cruise it gets old for a while. I can't dart out of traffic without going sideways. Gets tiresome sometimes. So I bought the wife a 93 t/a for all the christmas and birthday presents I stiffed her on. Yeah the car is slow but its nice having something with all the modern comforts like full lumbar seats, 6 speaker stereo, no rattles;) , etc. But I still wouldn't get rid of the TB for anything else. Got 4 cars now so the nice Limited I just bought might end up going down the road for the right price.

the car is solid and nice 48,000 miles and it paid off!! i have a 2002 grand prix i daly drive that is modded and fun as hell to drive!! i think i lost my buick pride back in 03 when i was attempted car jacked with a gun to my head for car!! every since then i been nervous about were i take it!! i hate to worry about the car so i had it insured for 25,000!! so the one day i start to daily it i took it to walmart i know big mistake som a hole key my quarter panel!! i call the car my big black clowd!!

100_0895.jpg

i was thinking of getting a 04 cobra!! i might just keep GN and lock it up somewere and forget about it!!

i'm tired of mine, everytime i turn around it's 500 here, 500 there... the market just isn't there right now to sell it :(

I got my first taste of the TR's back in 1987 when my buddy's pop bought a silver one new off the lot...it had 400 miles on it when we took it out for a night of street racing mustangs:eek: I was sold and swore I'd have one for my own. I bought my first GN after I came home from Desert Storm in 1990... I kept that car for 13 years and sold it to buy a real nice TTA. Kept the TTA for 3-4 years and sold it to go back to the TR's where the madness all started. Every now and then I get a hard on to sell this car and get a Z06 Vette or a 2003-2004 Cobra but my heart still lies with the turbo V6. Don't get me wrong, I'll entertain offers if the money is right..but the lure of these cars still seems to haunt me 20 years later.

I enjoy mine because I don't drive it very often so I don't have a chance to get sick of it, and so far I've only spent money on it when I want to AKA haven't had to do any major REPAIRS, all my expenses have been go-fast parts for my enjoyment.

I will say the one negative side to owning this car (applies to any nice car though) is that I can hardly enjoy going out for a cruise because I'm constantly worried that some moron will rear-end me, run a red light, etc. Drivers in Chicago suck. I think I'm starting to enjoy leaving it at home more than I enjoy driving it.

I enjoy having a rare car though. I could have a completely built Firebird or something like that, but it still wouldn't feel as special when you see 8 of the same car while you go out for a 15 minute cruise.

There's a million other cars I dream about owning in the future, but as far as I can tell at this point, I will never want to completely get away from TRs.

I don't get sick of the car but I do get remided of all it's little quirks when I get in it to drive it. It's to be expected though with a 20 year old car.

Also, paying $6.85 per gallon for Sunoco's 100 octane gets old real fast.

Has anyone here driven an 89 TTA? Never get tired of those. Back under my rock:D

wife bought one in 89 as a DRIVER ... and a RACER for me ... have had 4 totally.. fun car but as of last april/may I am TTA less .. miss it ????? nope .. sometimes you need to move on ..plus with old age.. your attention span doesn't last long
:p

Funny that this has been brought up, I have restored an 84 because of the interoir, I wanted to be different. Love the car when it is running right, hate it when its not. Runs better more often than not. My problem is cause its an 84 it wont pull the kind of my it should.:mad: This car is fully restored with all 87 type of powertrain parts. Brf trans and all. But there is no market for this car. But I kinda knew that going into this. When I go to a car show I am the only one with an 84, but all the kids like the 87 cause its what they know. So I think even if I wanted to sell it, I won't get the money I need to out of it. Im a lifer.

I got hooked on the TR's back in 95 when I got a ride in a GN. So I bought it. I didn't know what to expect, how to tune so I got a little crazy with the boost without a scan tool and pop!! Blew both headgaskets. I had it rebuilt and the damn thing wouldn't stay together!:mad: I had a local machine shop do the machine work, but he must have thought it was a SBC. Spun bearings, lack of oil press, So I got mad and sold it.

Then a couple years later I bought another TR. All stock. It was gonna stay that way.:D Who was I kidding? Ended up spinning a rod bearing one night at the track and had to call someone with a truck and trailer to come and get me.

Fast forward to today, I had my car running excellent in the low-11's then I popped 2 headgaskets again!:mad: :mad: I have to do all this work all over again. Now Im wondering if I should just sell the damn thing or keep it. But, I have way too much money and blood, sweat, and tears in this thing to sell it. I don't know. I really don't miss working on it all of the time. It seems these cars are so tempermental. Im probably a lifer though.

I have though long and hard about getting a 03-04 Mustang Cobra to play with but I do still love the buick even though it pi$%*@ me off once in a while. The buick is fun to drive when its running right.

I got hooked on the TR's back in 95 when I got a ride in a GN. So I bought it. I didn't know what to expect, how to tune so I got a little crazy with the boost without a scan tool and pop!! Blew both headgaskets. I had it rebuilt and the damn thing wouldn't stay together!:mad: I had a local machine shop do the machine work, but he must have thought it was a SBC. Spun bearings, lack of oil press, So I got mad and sold it.

Then a couple years later I bought another TR. All stock. It was gonna stay that way.:D Who was I kidding? Ended up spinning a rod bearing one night at the track and had to call someone with a truck and trailer to come and get me.

Fast forward to today, I had my car running excellent in the low-11's then I popped 2 headgaskets again!:mad: :mad: I have to do all this work all over again. Now Im wondering if I should just sell the damn thing or keep it. But, I have way too much money and blood, sweat, and tears in this thing to sell it. I don't know. I really don't miss working on it all of the time. It seems these cars are so tempermental. Im probably a lifer though.

I have though long and hard about getting a 03-04 Mustang Cobra to play with but I do still love the buick even though it pi$%*@ me off once in a while. The buick is fun to drive when its running right.

You hit the nail on the head in paragraph #4....I've been in that boat for sure!

I don't get sick of the car but I do get remided of all it's little quirks when I get in it to drive it. It's to be expected though with a 20 year old car.

Also, paying $6.85 per gallon for Sunoco's 100 octane gets old real fast.

That's why I went with the alky setup and now I pay $3 per gallon of gas. I love every minute that I drive my car. Paul