You can type here any text you want

How much can it handle

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

83tcamaro

Doing a 83 camaro with a gn motor... looking for mid tens no problem builing motor trans rear ex.. here is my problem i have TTOPS.. can i keep my car from twisting with out a roll bar!! i want to keep a stock apperiance... Except for wheels.. how can i do this also any suggestions on getting to hook up please keep in mind the stock apperiance!! Also if any one is familiar with the swap please email me at Camaro79350@aol.com thank u for all the help.. Whats the fastest street drivne tta with ttops NO ROLL BAR???

You ever owned a street driven mid 10 second car? I havent and if I had I sure think I would want a cage. I have a low 11 sec TTA and a cage is scheduled to go in this winter. I'm not going to cage it just to make the tracks happy. The cars just become too damn unsafe.

BTW: I had a buddy of mine who's wife came VERY close to dieing. He raced them all for years; cars, bikes, boats. Very capable driver. He had a high 11 second Nova, it got squirly and got away from him one day in a street race. His wife had to spend some time in the ICU over that deal. He's all done with all racing now. You might want to reconsider what your trying to do, atleast think about the passengers that may be riding in this car from time to time. They might not be as eager to roll the dice with there lives as you are.......ie they may not be as f'n stupid as you!

Jason

Now you got me going!

You know in the old days cops would block off a road to let kids race! They would run through the first 2 maybe 3 gears and then shut them down. Cars werent to radical and they weren't hitting high speeds. A seat belt was enough safety equipment. Now people are out there street racing radical cars and hitting stupid speeds. People are getting killed and cripled. The cops are now all over anybody who even chirps there tires. Its just like every thing else in life. A few bumb asses over do it and every one else gets punished because of them.

Jason

Dont get me wrong

im not intending on street racing except for the occasionally stop light to stop light. i am doing this as a show car i know it doesnt make any since but its what i want. Can i do it can i have a md 10 second car and not twist up my thirdgen?? Yes i know a 10 sec car is unconrtollable and can get away from any one i just need to know if it is possobile not if i should do it or noit but thanks for the concern!

Sure you can try to build a mid 10 second car but your never going to find out if it goes that fast. They are gonna kick you off the track before you get close.

You don't need a cage but the subframes should be tied together.

I don't have any subframes or a cage in my car and it's pretty flimsy. Its getting a cage and subframes this winter.

Whats the big deal about a cage anyways? Especially in an 83 Camaro? :confused:

Big deal

well its a ttop 83 camaro and i want a total stock apperence. and u would definatly see a cage. on the seeing times thing at the track what are the requrements for a ten second car?? But u say subframe conectors will be all i nedd?? i am doing subframe connectors but is there anything else i can do ?? im going to get bolt ons then weld over them for stronger hold thanks for the help again

Spend your money on a GN , T-type or TTA. You will have more satifaction out of it and better value than having all the headache's and crap that come with a motor swap like that.

You probably love that camaro alot but I would leave it alone.I sold a 84Z28 I had for $6800.00 and had $12,000.00 in it.It ran 11.80's w/350 and all the goodies and I wanted it to look stock!

I moved on very quickly as soon as I seen the TTA.:cool:

I think you would be putting yourself into a position that would limit you down the road.

To answer original question.... You would get banned from a track for not having a roll bar at 10.xx . Subframe connectors,air bags, and slicks would do the job.

Anyway, good luck if you still decide to do it :)

If you want to spend the cash you can have someone make you nice connectors to tie in the subframes extending to the tranny mount. Or you could throw in a dana 44 from a vette. I don't recall the shop, but someone has made a kit to bolt in the IRS. Most of the twisting in an F-body come from the tourqe transferred through the control arms,tourqe arm and panhard bar. Taking those out of the equation will help(not cure). There are plenty of t-top cars going low 11's- 10's. I would definately look into a cage. With smoked out windows a 6 point crafted well will blend in nicely.

Yeah but its an 83 Camaro..

You'll spend 20 grand and it will be worth 2000 bucks...

And it wont be a TTA.

what its worth

well in many ways yes u are right .. but a 83 is a classic so it could go both ways. but i have non ontentions on selling the car i have a 83 transam and 89 rs and just picked up my 83 this weekend and it is mint !! but i want a camaro and the headace i want something diofferent and i want the unexpected!! I agree it might not be worth it to some people, but it will be to me. i would really like to see some ttop cars with rollbars with the ttops off anyone ??? thanks for all the help guys keep it coming

If you get someone that is good to bend your bar, they can get it tucked pretty close to the pillars and roof and it won't be very noticable at all. It is a juggling act to be able to make the bar unobtrusive and still NHRA legal, but it can be done. Remember we are talking about a roll bar (6 point) and not a cage so you have no top hoop going around to the windshield. HTH

6 point

so u are tellin me that u will not see it with my ttops down and windows down?? as in it wont be there just in the back?? how is it by the doors can someone post a pic whats the difference i think im confused

It will be seen but not nearly as much as you would think. The T-Tops will have no effect at all as the bar will be located right behind the back of the cutout and at the back of the window. The only thing that really stands out is the door bar when the door is open and can be legally made removable (swingout).

You could go swing out bar or no bar run it along the floor dropping just behind the start of your rear 1/4. If you are just looking into stabilizing and strengthening your car that's a good way to keep it hidden. Go with a 6 point bar and a good set of connectors that tie in your tranny mount and the car will hold together nicely

swing out

how does that work does it swing out with the car??? and running it along the botom will that still make it legal for the track?

If you want to know what is legal for the track, go to nhra.com and read the rule book. If you ask 10 different racers, you will get 10 different answers and 8 will be wrong.

"swingouts" are what people refer to the side bars that are removable. Take them out when you are on the street and put them in at the track.

Back