How much do starting mechanics make?

thomas_quinn

I went for a interview at a chevy dealer on tuesday and didnt even think to ask he said they would probally start me hourly working with another mechanic. Hopefully he calls tommorow. Thanks

Im currently doing what your going to be doing until i get through college. i work hourly at the Honda dealer i work at instead of flat rate and i started two years ago at $11 and now im making $14.50 per hour. Most of the hourly guys i work with make between $10-$17 per hour, and never much more than that. What you want to do is eventually become flat rate, thats where the money is. our top tech makes $31 per hour, but usually pulls between 12-16 hours of work per day. thats the way to go, but it takes a while to get there, hes been a tech for over 25 years. any other questions, id be glad to help out

I have a friend that makes roughly $52k/yr. He's only been doing it for about 5-7 yrs. He did go to VoTech for automechanics and got an associates degree as well. Before making the money listed above he was in the $14-$17 / hr range. The big raise came when he wanted to quit. his boss gave him a $20k/yr raise. It should be noted, he works 45 hours per week.

Later,

Steve.

The best thing I did was go to the only local performance shop around here. They tried doing forced induction stuff but the only thing they knew how to do was follow the instructions provided and install blowers/ turbos. Troubleshooting wasn't an option. I got hired on at $20/hr to start with a raise at the 3 month mark. I did the most basic things that most any member here could do. When installing a blower on a Mustang, start with extra fuel and tune down (we had a dyno). They would start out lean and richen it up. Wow, no more blown motors. Or when the motor is crapping out with the stock ignition and old plugs but now with a blower, try gapping the plugs to something normal like .035 and quit playing with the AF which was all over the place due to the miss in the ignition. Instead of tuning the nitrous on an LS1 perfect on the dyno, leave it rich for the 17yr old kid that's going to be beating the hell out of it. Sorry if I got carried away, still a little bitter lol.

I started out working for room and board on a few race teams. Then new car get ready, and then finally some more schooling. There's a certain amount of dues paying in being a mechanic. and there's a huge difference in being a mechanic, and being a parts exchanger. Logical thought and diagnostics, take time to develope. If you have a passion and really enjoy it, then you can make ALOT of money as a line or heavy line mechanic. Trouble is your wrists, and knees will pay for the abuse of air tools, and being on concrete floors all day. So 1/2 way thru your career think about going into being shop foreman or service manager, it's not really a career you can rely on retiring from, IMO.

If your young and without the ties of marriage, then maybe a race team might be the way to go. Depending on who you're with you can gain lots of experience real quick in the racing world. But, the hours are long, and the pay usually is miserable.

Id totally agree with bruce. I went to a 4 year local and breezed right through due to the fact I had a $2000 hot rod every day driver. I started in a radiator/AC shop and moved a few times to the same types of shops gaining the basics,doing the hourly thing doing great living at home. As you move around and most tech do and the best thing was I got with a young new shop owner who was extremely smart and WANTED to teach me, within 3 years I not only could full diagnose 90% of whats on the road I knew how the different systems were suppost to work.So surround yourself with good people. To end the strory I dont wrench everyday I quit at the age of 26. I had some other issues also but you have to worrie about your check every week,every minute if things get slow,bad jobs and buying tools which I never minded($22,000) total. I was stressing hard. It was great money till I wanted to buy a home. I Now am a union telephone line repairman. Youve really got to love it every day or its hard. Most techs here make no more than 40,000 a year for a 43 hour week.