You can type here any text you want

How much money and time do you have in your Hybrid conversion?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WE4

TBcom Admin /Prayers NYFD/NYPD
We are asking around to see what the average cost is to change a N/A car (69 El Camino just as an example) over to a 87 GN drivetrain. All wiring, fuel lines and pump, transmission and plumbing done with exceptional attention to detail. I mean a 100% perfect job. Both in the engine compartment and in the car for the Caspers harness and computer. No one has to reveal every dime but the just of what it took, the parts other than the harness and the time to do everything absolutly show quality.

Thanks in advance for the replies.....

Bruce
WE4
Tb.com admin

Are you thinking about doing one for someone else? I've had several people ask if I could do one for them but I refused. The labor would have killed them anyhow.

This is probably not what you're looking for in an answer but here's my 2¢ worth. When I changed mine over I had a totaled but complete GN in the next bay. It took me about 2 months working all day on the weekends and about 2 hours per night after work (but not every night). I didn't make mine show quality since I never enter any car shows. The only thing that wasn't "bolt-on" was making the GN's harness work with a Monte Carlo SS gauge panel and headlight switch. I bought that totaled GN for $1500.

I stoped keeping track.(Was making me sick how much i have spent on this car)But i had about $12,000 in the mustang to get it down the track the first time.but it was a 10 second car then.

Dennis

I used a $3100.00 TTA as a doner and traded a $3000.00 GTA to the guy who did the labor.
Maybe $2500.00 more in parts (mostly chrome, replacment TTA intercooler schroud and a new turbo)
3 months worth of saturdays to swap it all over.
Mines not show quality either I just wanted to get it done before the snow hit.

lol

your going to make me cry. just to think I could have bought a new car with what i've spent, I wrenched everything my self, but only can paint wheels and engine parts :) and I dont know how to stitch leather. one thing is is that a project car is always changing, never truely done :wink: want to buy mine? car is a little dusty, but its alright :D

Attachments

• DSCF1218.JPG
    DSCF1218.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 250
  • DSCF1219.JPG
    DSCF1219.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 220
  • DSCF1228.JPG
    DSCF1228.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 199
  • DSCF1227.JPG
    DSCF1227.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 169
  • DSCF1222.JPG
    DSCF1222.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 192
8k or so

Its not show stopper but the engine bay looks like it belongs there. I wish I would have found a cleaner car though. Also if I had another buick to pull parts off off that would have saved me some bills. I got my tranny and motor for 2k shipped, and I got lucky. I would say a least 6k if you had all the parts just in the swap and the details thats extra. :biggrin:

I paid $1200 for my motor,harness,and computer.I have about $200 in making all the piping.$60 in subleting the welding.$50 in a crossover pipe.traded a good Chevy th350 for a BOP th350.Got $35 in fuel pump and $22 in fuel line.Bought a $25 laptop and $260 for direct scan.When all done i should have less than 3 grand in the swap.Should be close to show quality.

you got some resorces :P

There are a lot of things I was not able to do myself mainly the rear end drive shaft and what not. You also got good deal on the motor too..

volvoman said:
There are a lot of things I was not able to do myself mainly the rear end drive shaft and what not. You also got good deal on the motor too..
I've had the car for 4 years now.Over the years i slowly upgraded.When i broke something i upgraded,car was already in the 10's with the smallblock.

My story

I had my IROC allready runing with the V8. First thing i bought was the GN V6 that costs $2000, so i knew this wasnt going to be cheep and so far it hasnt been. It took about 3 years ( working in the winter months only ) to get where i am now. After buying the basic go-fast parts, THIS is the prices of the swap.
Caspers Engine harness for my Camaro = $800
Custom Fab engine mounts and A/C Delete = $150
Custom Fab downpipe to exhaust and intercooler piping = $1100
Custom built th400 Trans & converter $1400
Custom built driveshaft $300
Custom built adjustable torque arm $450
Misc. stuff $200

Most of the money is in the V6 which is around $12,000

Back