You can type here any text you want

How much rust is too much rust?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GNDrew

Hello ladies and gentlemen! This is my first post on the forum, and I'm excited to say that I am now in the market for one of these bad boys. Now, I've found that I really like but the problem is the car is located out in NH, and I'm in CA. I had the dealer send me a video of the car, it seems to be blowing black smoke but everything else is running fine. My main cause for concern, though, is the rusting. I don't know much about rusting, I've never had to deal with it so I have zero experience what-so-ever. I was hoping to get the expert opinion from you guys! Is this a major problem, something minor that can be fixed for cheap, or do I just shop around for another deal? Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place, wasn't sure where to put it.

1103424-51-large.jpg
1103426-14-large.jpg
1103426-19-large.jpg
1103426-21-large.jpg

Man, I was afraid of that. So a little bit of rust is understandable, but not to that extent huh?

Get them to send you pics of the Floor Boards , lower doors , quarter panels , trunk interior .. is this a T top / moon roof car ?

No that is to much rust and will cost you more than if you just wait foe a nicer one. Just keep looking on this site on the for sale section there is always good TR for sale here.

Welcome to the site.

Way too much rust seen in the few photos posted already and don't forget about the rust you can't see. These cars are already money pits, even without the rust...

Get them to send you pics of the Floor Boards , lower doors , quarter panels , trunk interior .. is this a T top / moon roof car ?

It's a Ttop. The interior of the car is spotless, there are no signs of rust or anything. Same body wise, no signs of bubbles of paint chip, just a few small sun spots here and there. The trunk is clean too, it's just underneath the car. It looks like it's been sitting in 8 inches of water for like six years.

No that is to much rust and will cost you more than if you just wait foe a nicer one. Just keep looking on this site on the for sale section there is always good TR for sale here.

That's probably what I'll end up doing. Thanks for the help gentlemen! I'll keep my eyes peeled on the website.

It's hard to tell from those pics. What I see is surface rust, which is very common and not a big problem. The factory suspension parts like the control arms and rear axle housing didn't seem to have much in the way of a coating to prevent against surface rust. What you should be concerned with is rot--Holes in the floorboards, body panels or frame. If it's a t-top car make sure there is no rust in the roof area. Look at the bottoms of the doors and rear quarters. That being said can't you find a California car with 0 rust?

It's hard to tell from those pics. What I see is surface rust, which is very common and not a big problem. The factory suspension parts like the control arms and rear axle housing didn't seem to have much in the way of a coating to prevent against surface rust. What you should be concerned with is rot--Holes in the floorboards, body panels or frame. If it's a t-top car make sure there is no rust in the roof area. Look at the bottoms of the doors and rear quarters. That being said can't you find a California car with 0 rust?

I've been looking in CA, there doesn't seem to be ANY for sale. The car just isn't that common out here, been here my whole life and I've only seen one (maybe it has to do with the area I live in). And even with the ones listed as "in CA," all the plates are out of state plates so I don't even know how legit that is.

1103404-9-large.jpg
1103404-15-large.jpg
1103404-20-large.jpg
1103404-33-large.jpg
1103424-11-large.jpg
1103426-8-large.jpg
1103426-25-large.jpg

Surface rust looks OK but the cross member looks rotted. That's scary. There could be a lot of secrets with that car. Maybe tires were low on air sitting in grass? Frame looks OK. Kind of weird. There's a few CA guys on here that will help you. There's a great mechanic for TRs. On here his name is turbolou. Maybe he has some leads on some cars. Like everything else its going to come down to budget.. Glws. Oh I'd stay away from that one.

Welcome to the site.

Way too much rust seen in the few photos posted already and don't forget about the rust you can't see. These cars are already money pits, even without the rust...
On top of the rust, it's at a "stealership"??

Yup. I just talked to them, they told me they'll sandblast and coat the bottom and then send me pics. They didn't do it originally because people wold assume they're hiding something. I'm told there's nothing structural, like the quarter panels or anything. It's all the bolt on pieces. It's a classic car dealership, not a traditional one, if that makes a difference.

It looks like it's very original, including the exhaust which is probably rare but it also looks like it spent a lot of time stored outside or in a damp area. I think you should be able to find something less rusty looking even from the northeast or cold climate. Depends on the price and how much work you want to put in to clean it up.

It looks like it's very original, including the exhaust which is probably rare but it also looks like it spent a lot of time stored outside or in a damp area. I think you should be able to find something less rusty looking even from the northeast or cold climate. Depends on the price and how much work you want to put in to clean it up.

It's documented 36xxx miles.

I can't believe you can't find one in CA! That state is loaded with them, I lived out there for 12 years, they're everywhere!
1. Stay away from ttops! If they aren't leaking they will. The rust under the weatherstrip will spread, 100% guaranteed.

2. The amount of rust under the car indicates it's seen plenty of driving in that northeast winter salt.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk.[emoji252]

Surface rust looks OK but the cross member looks rotted. That's scary. There could be a lot of secrets with that car. Maybe tires were low on air sitting in grass? Frame looks OK. Kind of weird. There's a few CA guys on here that will help you. There's a great mechanic for TRs. On here his name is turbolou. Maybe he has some leads on some cars. Like everything else its going to come down to budget.. Glws. Oh I'd stay away from that one.

Thanks for this, I'll contact him!

I can't believe you can't find one in CA! That state is loaded with them, I lived out there for 12 years, they're everywhere!
1. Stay away from ttops! If they aren't leaking they will. The rust under the weatherstrip will spread, 100% guaranteed.

2. The amount of rust under the car indicates it's seen plenty of driving in that northeast winter salt.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk.[emoji252]

NoCal or SoCal? I'm in SoCal and only seen one my entire life, and know one other person who owned a '82 (my dad. I told him he was an idiot for selling it and not keeping it for me;)). Even when I search online, everything listed is from Texas or farther east. There are some in AZ too. Now I'm new at this, I only bought from dealerships before but now I want to "grow up" and do my own shopping. I'll welcome any advice about where to look? Lead me to the promised land!

Yup. I just talked to them, they told me they'll sandblast and coat the bottom and then send me pics. They didn't do it originally because people wold assume they're hiding something. I'm told there's nothing structural, like the quarter panels or anything. It's all the bolt on pieces. It's a classic car dealership, not a traditional one, if that makes a difference.
I would be very concerned about a dealership having this sandblasted. They could easily make it worse than it already is. What is on the tires? Looks like it was dragged out of a mud pit.

Have you been looking in the for sale section on this forum?

I looked, I found one that I thought I'd buy today but it's already sold :( That was the only one I found listed in CA though, but I'm still browsing through it. Yeah, I think I'm going to skip out on this one, there are just far too many variables involved. Kinda bummed but relieved at the same time, thank you all so much for the help! I'll continue to browse through and ask silly questions, though I can't promise about when I'll stop embarrassing myself or other GN owners.

Back