You can type here any text you want

How much rust is too much rust?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Also surface rust can look way different in pictures. My current one had a lot of surface rust but looked totally worse in pictures. I'm happy I took a shot because it wasnt as bad. If car is easy trip to make do so.

The only way to learn is to ask. We have all been there and we still don't know it all

Call Nick Micale @ Arizona GN. I'd bet w/ the number of cars he works on, there's 1 that he can put you onto...

You are doing the right thing...asking before buying :). Lots of people here willing to help you spend your money :D. Good luck with your search. I've always found the "hunt" to be almost as enjoyable as ownership.

Slow down, don't rush and do not even think another minute about buying a rusty car from a dealership especially in the Northeast!! You will be sorry or broke or both.

If your willing to deal with cars out here drop Dennis kirban a line ask if he can find a nice one for you, would be worth it imo

One other thing to consider is you're in kalifornication, and your inspection laws will screw a non CA car if you get it. Get hold of Nick or Lou Czarna (sp) and one of them might be able to find what you're looking for. Page down on the main forum page for the vendor section and you can find info for both of them.

One other thing to consider is you're in kalifornication, and your inspection laws will screw a non CA car if you get it. Get hold of Nick or Lou Czarna (sp) and one of them might be able to find what you're looking for. Page down on the main forum page for the vendor section and you can find info for both of them.

Yep, that was another thing that I was concerned about when it came down to buying the car. I'm sure I'll find the right car eventually. It's only been about a week or so that I've been searching.

I was born and raised/still in Cali. I see GN's all the time, and know if several just in my area! I know of a clean 1 owner WE4 for sale, but not advertised. I've even came across a GNX for sale in Glendale that some old timers didn't even bother looking at!! Keep looking, what's your budget?

Echoing what others have said here, don't rush to purchase. Spend upfront for a quality car, but verify it is a quality car or at least a quality seller. I had been on this search 2+years learning the market and finding lots of promise online led to more disappointment in person. Cars I thought were 'once in a lifetime finds' are still for sale 2 years later. The folks on this board have been great, and some are even willing to inspect a car for you if they live close by.

Take your time!

What is your budget?
Like what was said before, *take your time *. There ARE good ones out there. I spent almost a year looking for mine. Drove a total of a thousand miles (250 miles x 4 ) in my purchase. Bought it from the proverbial "little old lady" whose husband passed away and he took impeccable care of the car. It was listed on Hemmings . There are many web sites that list them for sale, both from dealers and private owners.
Also, this website *is* a treasure trove of information full of advice and experiences from those in the know. The things I learned here helped me in my quest to find a good one.
Keep at it ! You WILL find THE one.

Thanks all for the inspiration! Haha. I'm actually looking at one that's for sale in CA. No rust, new engine, new radiator, new turbo, new tires, new shocks and brakes (front and rear), new 02 sensor, new cat and a new fuel pump plus fuel tank. It also has the current smog and tags for CA. The guy even kept all the old parts in the trunk of the car. He got it from some lady in Philadelphia twelve years ago, now he's looking to retire and make room in his garage. The only issue with the car is that it seems to kind of lag when it comes to mid-end power. It's also a '85.
0_0720151452b.jpg
0_0720151519.jpg

The first car you showed us really didnt seem too bad to me? It looked like surface rust that could be wire wheeled and resprayed..

^ I agree about buying a Hot Air but from first hand experience buy the GN with the cleanest body you can afford... It's way cheaper to build a drivetrain then to redo a body.. Ugh

As mentioned above and in my other post, do yourself a favor and stick to 86's or 87's. I could be wrong but looks like the driver side inner fender well was replaced at some point. I'd have a closer look at that area if seriously still considering it.

Back