How much to fix Ford Explorer 5 speed Transmission?

Blown&Injected

It was making noise after running the 5-Speed trans with only about one quart of fluid.

Today it started to make lots of noise after a few blocks of driving then after comming to a stop, 1st gear, pull 2nd gear, and crunch!!! 3rd gear crunch and gears just stripping away, only 30 MPH but I went for 4th for that 1:1 gear that seems to have not been making noise with hopes to crawl home - it was just a few blocks.

So, about what can I expect to pay to have this taken care of? It is a 1991 4X4 Eplorer Sport (2-door)

TIA,

Be prepared. It will be expensive

Low fluid is what always happens to these. The top cover leaks around the 3 rubber plugs on top. When you notice the leak on the side of the case it's too late. You'll probably be better off finding a Junk yard unit. The trans will probably need a input shaft, cluster gear and an overhaul kit {Blocker rings and bearings}. That will be just the start. Hopefully the input bearing didn't seize and start spinning in position in the case {new case if it did}.

Re: Be prepared. It will be expensive

Originally posted by blackplague
Hopefully the input bearing didn't seize and start spinning in position in the case {new case if it did}.

That possible problem is what I would have said to describe the sound the trans was making.:mad:

In most of the explorer and f150's i've

done. The input shaft {4th gear} usually strips away and the trans won't move before the bearing seizes. The input bearing is probably howling bad though. The trans doens't make noise at stops does it?

as soon as i start the engine the trans makes noise, no noise if i push in the clutch.

as much as the rebuild may cost i guess i'll just try to find a junk yard unit - are all the expolrer 5 speeds the same? don't even know exactly what i'm looking for

Explorer and Ranger units will interchange

But, you have to match up engines. 4.0L Engine gets the 4.0L trans. It sounds like the input bearing and the rest of the trans is starting to self distruct. A bone yard unit around here goes from 450-750 depending on the yard. Which ever way you go {rebuild the exsisting or a JY unit} get {3} 5/8'' core plugs and replace the rubber plugs in the top cover with the core plugs {leak fixed for good}.