You can type here any text you want

How test knock sensor?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Jan Larsson

So got a newly built engine and put 220 miles on it so far with no knock whatso ever, got both a scanmaster and caspers knock gauge .... and none of them shows any degree of knock ...

Engine runs great and pulls hard ... all roller cam / lifter etc setup.

No knock is very good ... however I'm concerned I had nothing at all so like to double check and make sure knock sensor is working as it should.

How do I test this in an easy way????

Thanks worked fine, used a long screwdriver to tap gently on the sensor and both the scanmaster and the casper knock gauge worked fine ... so guess my new engine works a charm wiht 225 miles and not a sign of knock so far .. and I've stepped on it a couple of times to seat the rings :biggrin:

It will usually go off in the burnout box for me otherwise never a peep with a good tune.

Jan, doesn't your Caspers show some lights on crank up? My starter always sets mine off when starting the car.

My Caspers lights up on startup but the light sticks sometimes....like it stays in the range somewhere after startup.

I get the odd feeling its busted....anyone have this issue?

My caspers gauge always lit up on start up regardless of where it was hooked to. My knock alarm sometimes does it.

The Knock gauge may be getting power from the wrong source if it's lighting up during cranking. Here's a cut and paste from the Casper's website;
A – goes to BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND)
B – goes to SWITCHED BATTERY POSITIVE (PINK/BLACK STRIPE – MUST switch off during cranking)
C – goes to ECM yellow/black stripe at location B-7

NOTE: All switched positive feeds in the car’s wiring are pink with a black stripe. You can generally use any of these
wires to feed TERMINAL B of the gage (positive feed), but BE SURE it is a positive feed that turns OFF during
cranking of the engine. Also, most grounds in the car are black with a white stripe.

Mine is hooked up to a hot in run/start and it too goes off during cranking,

I'm just not that concerned with it fix it. But maybe it's locking on to an alert L.E.D. level could be resolved by moving the power source around.

RE: Casper's instructions.

If you go buy what casper tells you to do on installing the wires.You will have no touble.I've done it twice and about to do another. Little more work because ther are colored wires closer.But do it his way.He designed it. Just my opion...Rob:)

How Not To Test Knock Sensor

Turn up the boost, turn down the fuel....:biggrin:

RE: Casper's instructions.

Also. use the guage wire he recommends. I was 20 when I wired my first car that had been in a fire. My neighbor who knew some real now legends.

Was an electrician. Should have been a welder.
He schooled me. So I pass on what I can..HTH'd rob:)

I wired my gauge/alarm to the radio circuit. It goes off as soon as I release the key.

Back