You can type here any text you want

how to: convert carbs to EFI

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

kaj

does this site have any threads of a "how-to" on converting.. say.. an '83 t-type to an EFI system?

i can't stand carbuerators and prefer the EFI setup.

any help would be appreciated. i did a quick search and didn't find anything.. though i will admit my google-fu is weak.

thanks.

also.. i'm guessing this would not be smog legal in california. has anyone had issues passing the visual?

hey. if you've the $$, get a 4bbl intake manifold, then get one of these TBI units; the kind that looks like a 4bbl carb, holley based....but its an EFI system with 4 injectors....something liek $5 grand for it, but comes with own computer and all the wiring and stuff needed.....if not, I think there IS a thread somewhere on converting to EFI from carbed; most would say just drop in a EFI v6 lol

here.

Attachments

• !BkPm32!!Wk~$(KGrHqQOKkYEsmmLlje4BLWymPW,Mw~~_3.jpg
    !BkPm32!!Wk~$(KGrHqQOKkYEsmmLlje4BLWymPW,Mw~~_3.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 271
i was thinking something along the lines of a later-model fuel injection setup. as for the TBI setup... how reliable is it? sounds like a pretty decent deal to me.

what do EFI V-6s go for? i'm assuming i'd need engine/harness/ecu/etc?

Yep... In my sweet dreams:(:biggrin:

$1,800 isn't bad. parts for these cars seem relatively cheap. my other car is a Mitsubishi Evolution. parts for THAT car are ridiculous. my turbo upgrade is gonna cost me $1,600 alone!

anyone know if these things are worth the trouble? it says it's good for 400+hp. that's more than i planned on doing. i'm shooting for 350ish.

why would you prefer this setup to your '85 parts??

I may be completely wrong, but i believe a FWD EFI v6 manifold will bolt on; the throttle body and such would need to be "flipped" around compared to the FWD set up, to where you could have the intake in front of the engine unlike the FWD where its the other way around. for all that; it may be simpler to get a late model FWD 3.8L v6 (LN3) and they go for like $100 for just the core to $350 for a runner; with everything, ECM, wiring harness, ignition coil, sensors, etc. look for the 1984-1985 distributor v6s like the Park avenue engine in the B4Black thread a few threads below; I think those are hte most like the SFI engines; and will use the distributor set up

$1,800 isn't bad. parts for these cars seem relatively cheap. my other car is a Mitsubishi Evolution. parts for THAT car are ridiculous. my turbo upgrade is gonna cost me $1,600 alone!

anyone know if these things are worth the trouble? it says it's good for 400+hp. that's more than i planned on doing. i'm shooting for 350ish.

why would you prefer this setup to your '85 parts??

1.Cheaper
2.Easier
3.Less work
4.Little to no wiring or computer
5. Easy to tune
but harder to find parts.

1.Cheaper
2.Easier
3.Less work
4.Little to no wiring or computer
5. Easy to tune
but harder to find parts.

Not to mention the fact that after it was made no one has broken the 12:91 in the quarter barrier.:biggrin: These cars require you to actually think on how to make it work for you instead of just bolting parts on it to make it faster.:biggrin:

well. it's come to my attention that i may have to stick with the carb'ed arrangement, due to kalifornia and our smog regulations.

can they be made to put down 350-400whp?

if i go with the TBI.. then back to stock for smog, how much labor is involved? we used to pull the turbo kits off our hondas every two years to smog. it wasn't too bad.

to be honest? smog regulations? you can beat that with say, a very well tuned L36 or L67 mated to a metric RWD trans (say, F body or the 2.8L S10 series)..a carbed arrangement, it is POSSIBLE with a B4B turbo system; but I think you would likely not pass the smog sniffer; i'd thought in CA you're exempt if its a certain age?

to be honest? smog regulations? you can beat that with say, a very well tuned L36 or L67 mated to a metric RWD trans (say, F body or the 2.8L S10 series)..a carbed arrangement, it is POSSIBLE with a B4B turbo system; but I think you would likely not pass the smog sniffer; i'd thought in CA you're exempt if its a certain age?

i believe the exemption is up to 1973, or something like that. it used to be a "rolling" system, so that each year it would increase one but they put a stop to that.

i'm 99% sure i'd have to pass smog according to 1983 Buick T-Type specs.

i'm new. what is an L36 and an L67? i can google, but rather make conversation. :)
why would the transmission matter?

L36 is the NA 3800 Series 2 buick v6, found on cars from 1996+, some 1995s..L67s, they're the supercharged v6 engines, also found on GM cars (Buick Regal GS from 1998+) and put down something like 240HP stock... they also can be just as $$$ to build up...transmission matters because the one in your car is for the "Buick Olds Pontiac" pattern; IE, v8 bellhousing, the RWD 3.8s have that pattern up until 1988; then afterwards, they used a metric pattern for the RWD 3.8 v6s in the F-bodies, such as Camaro and Firebirds....I believe for the Series 2 3800s in the Camaro/Firebirds, they are the same block as the FWD engines. and besides, if you use say a 2000+ system; with up to date everything, you will kick the 1983 specs arses especially if you specified a California ECM and/or California Exhaust package....since the newer stuff have to meet far stricter specs than the 83 stuff.

Now THAT sounds more like it. This is gonna be a 5yr+ project for my girl and i. No hurry. I have my other car to play with.
Any estimates on the cost for all this? I'm assuming someone has done it before? Maybe made a thread about it?

This is great info. Thank you, guys.

Also... If I use that new of equipment, how does the ECU handle boost?
Guessing I'd need the ECU from the supercharged engine? Can it handle the amount of boost I'd be throwing at it?

Back