How to Dye interior parts.

aminga

Chicks Dig the powerbulge
I got one of Mark's console risers for Christmas. Now one of the problem's I've had is none of the burgundy interior pieces matches my car. The interior is all original, the trouble is there are 2 maroon interior color options. I guess most choose to match the lighter one.

This is a good reason why your better off to go to your local paint jobber though and have them match the dye to your interior. You need to find a piece that's out of the sun like ECM kick panel.

The console in the car.

Luckily the cupholders just pry out I used a soft plastic pry bar meant for interior work.

And the hinge comes off

That just leaves the black felt on the bottom of the console you have to mask off. I used a paper bag and pushed the edges down into the console with the interior tool.

Clean the part good with some prep spray and a clean lint free cloth. If you can make friends with someone who works in an ER they can get surgical sponges which have to be thrown away anyway after the kit is opened. Wipe it down good even if it's new.

Go ahead and get your gun setup and loaded before the next step since you have to go quickly. I use a touchup gun for smaller parts an airbrush would also work

Since part has a texture and sanding would remove that we need to use an adhesion promoter. SEM Sand free melts the surface slightly and bonds the dye. After cleaning apply it with a heavy wet coat, the first coat of dye needs to go on while this is still wet.

Apply the first coat of dye as a dry mist coat let it dry and tney apply coats as necessary. The final coats need to go on be wet but watch out for runs because the stuff is kind of thin.

Sit back and admire your work

One of the points of doing this whole how to article to point out that you need to go to your local paint jobber and get it matched.