You can type here any text you want

How to figure out which engine...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

DollaDanny

Found, what I believe to be, a 1979 Buick Turbo Regal engine for $250. Figured it wasn't a bad price to take a long shot on for the block, pistons, rods, heads, crank, cam, exhaust, turbo (no carb). I bought the engine disassembled and it came with an intake with the turbo setup and another extra intake without a turbo.

As we are going through the engine, a couple things are not lining up.

The block casting number is 1254083. On various sites, that says it is a 1977-78 N/A or 1978 Turbo.

Can anyone confirm?

Is there a definitive source of casting numbers (service manual, GM documentation, etc.)?

Thanks!

Dan

Okay yes it's a older block . I wouldn't have bought it personally . You want 109,or a 291 block . The block you got is prob the weakest out of all them . The 484 block is strongest out of the hot air blocks . The 291 block is a 4.1 . And the 109 is the strongest and came in 86/87 NA Regal's and turbo Regal's

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply, Dank!

This is a very budget build so we'll have to stick to what we have for the mean time but I appreciate the suggestions.

How interchangeable are the parts between a 78 Turbo and a 79 Turbo (or other years)? Is there a cross reference list that can help?

Last edited:
Search around in the link . Agian I would save up and go with a 109 block that can handle Alil power .

Back