how to paint door panels

aze12677

how to paint door panels i got a other set that i want to but speakers in but i need to paint them can someone help

how to paint door panels i got a other set that i want to but speakers in but i need to paint them can someone help

Clean, clean and more cleaning is required before you paint them. I've used vinyl dye to paint mine before I got the correct black interior for my car.

Clean, clean and more cleaning is required before you paint them. I've used vinyl dye to paint mine before I got the correct black interior for my car.

What he said, and use a somewhat abrasive cloth/sponge. You don't want any 'shine' before you paint it, as that will be a weakspot for the paint to come off later. But light pressure and a dull haze is what I am talking about, don't go crazy on it, you just want to knock the shine off it.

use a good wax and grease remover after getting them scrubbed clean and just try a small area first to see if it fish eyes as it has probably seen a lot of silicone cleaners in it's life. Use a good vinyl dye such as marhyde to finish. If it does fish eye start again with more scrubbing and wax and grease remover. If you spray light coats it will help avoid problems too.:wink:

a good wax/greaser remover (kent moore "acrysol" is great), then lightly scuff with a red (fine) scotchbrite pad then thoroughly rinse and dry. Spray several light coats on and let it build up slowly until you have the results you want. gbody has the paint in all Buick colors and it works really well.

I've done this more than a few times. I dont have a materials list so you'll have to source the stuff by yourself. First to do it right you have to remove the carpet. Use 3M General Purpose Cleaner, the stuff in the square quart can. Saturate the carpet with GPC to loosen up the glue. Dont worry about the smell. It goes away when it evaporates. Gentley pull up the carpet. Dont pull or tug it out of shape. Soak it until the glue lets go if you have to. Set the carpet off to the side to dry. Remove any remaining glue. Now clean the plastic trim panel with Simple Greem,Formula 409 or any type of cleaner. Do this at least two times to get rid of any Armour All or remaining soap residue. Most paint companies sell a complete system for painting plastic and vinyl trim.I use the brand name Specialty. Get some cleaner and adhesion promoter. Clean the panel with the cleaner per the instructions. Spray down the panel with the adhesion promoter per the instructions. Spray on your color. Let it cure for at least 24-48 hours. Use rubber cement to reattach the carpet. If you have to by chance redo something the carpet will come off easier if you use rubber cement. If you do everything right the stuff wont lift or scratch.