You can type here any text you want

How to replace/repair a U joint

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

83turbomon

Starvin Like Marvin...
So I have some freetime on Xmas and im deciding my present this year is some pearls of wisdom in regards to my car. It ONLY makes a clicking sound under hard acceleration or on the freeway. What needs to be done, do I need to buy a new one or tighten something up? what am I looking at. I was also told that I may need to add some RP oil to the U joing and the rear end as well.

any advice, as I said this is my present...:)

if you want to know how to do them they are easy. do you have a press? if you dont your going to look like popeye.:biggrin: you remove the drive shaft its only 4 bolts i forgot the size. then you take the little clips out on each end of the joint if you have a press then you push them out with that; if not you get a socket the same size of the joint end and pound them out with a hammer.

Once you get it out you can use a ball joint press to change it. It looks like a big C clamp with a hole on the end. Take the retainer clips off and put the big C clamp over the joint where you took the retainers out. Then just use an adjustable wrench to turn it. I use an impact gun myself but if you don't have one you can use a wrench to move the joints in and out.

Back