How to tint tailights

vader87

Protected Freedom for 27 years! Thank a Veteran!
Warning!!! THIS IS ILLEGAL IN SOME STATES, COUNTIES AND CITIES!!!! CHECK YOUR LOCAL LAWS!!!!

Please read completely FIRST! This is how I tinted my tail lights. I am sure there are other ways so look around.

1. Remove the tailight assembly

2. Remove all screws allowing the removal of the plastic trim

3. Pop off small metal clips that holds the lens to the housing

4. CAREFULLY seperate the lens from the housing. You may want to heat them up in the oven at around 150 degrees. Too hot , they will melt!!!

5. Sand the outside of the lens with 1500 wet paper

6. Clean, dry and paint the outside of the lens with VHT Nite Shapes Spray paint. Remember to take your time! Apply in light coats! The more coats, the darker they are. Either do both lenses or keep up with how many coats you apply to the first one so they will match.

7. Wait one day for drying

8. Very gently rub with 2000 grit wet sand paper just enough so the clear will stick. Too much and you will sand through the tint.

9. Clean with soap and water, rinse and allow to dry.

10. Apply the clear. Get a good clear, not the $.99 stuff! Lay it on!! The more the better as you will need to cut it back done.

11. Allow to dry one day

12. Sand with 2000 grit wet sand paper removing orange peel and inperfections.

13. Buff with a drill or buffer with polishing compound followed by some type of Headlight restorer which removes swirls.

14. Removed the old sealer in the housing with a screwdiver or knife.

14a. Here is where you will install your LED pannels if you want them.

14b. TEST TEST AND RE-TEST!!!!! Nothing like having to break the seal because your lights do not function properly!

15. Apply some type of silicone sealer or the sticky stuff for windshields.

16. Rejoin the lens to the housing using the metal clips.

17. Let dry one day

18. Assemble the the complete light and mount back on car.

19. Enjoy!!!!

I recommend using the LED tail lights that are available on TR Custom Parts - Unique Products for 84-87 Turbo Regals & Olds G-Body Cars. These are very bright and show up very well especially during the day when its hard to see anyway.

SDC11662.jpg

SDC11661.jpg

SDC11666.jpg

SDC11668.jpg

hello people; That black out thing looks cooool but just a comment. The other day I was behind a Jap job in the middle of the day,bright sun and he had that done and you could barely see the brake lights. And that's no good. Being a Mass Hole I would not do it as it could cause more crap to happen. I suggest don't do it.
to each there own
IBBY
how's my spelling

I really like the look of the Tinted Taillights! Really adds to the sinister look! I have tinted my own with VHT and also have bought a set of smoked ones from someone online who sells "top notch" products. (also a GN Owner) As mentioned the key to all of this is if they are legal in the state or area you live in. I have had them on my car with no problems from law enforcement even though they are illegal here. I also have the LED sequential tailights and the taillights did shine nicely through the tint/smoking. I ended up removing mine as I became a bit paranoid of someone rear ending me regardless of how well the light shines through. In my state (Illinois) it would be hard to beat a court case with these circumstances. Bad enough just to have a smashed rear end without a insurance claim but much worse if someone is hurt in either car/cars. Just a word of CAUTION and supporting the original post to check your laws first!!!

what about this?

I'm in the slow process of tinting a set of taillights for my GN. I'm taking my time and doing it right.
Question:
This piece is usually painted silver. What if I were to paint it with that spary on Chrome paint? It would definetely make it brighter when the brakes were applied............wouldn't it??
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Chris

Attachments

• plastic.jpg
    plastic.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 496
Good Question!

I hope somebody answers this one, I would like to tint mine also, but even factory, they don't seem that bright. Subscribed!

Those tail lights with the LEDs look great!! I smoked my truck's tails back in 2003 using pretty much the same method except I did it all in one day using the 100+ degree heat.

My only difference with the tail lights is that I had to do a couple of coats with the black paint to get them dark enough before I clear coated but this also kept me from over darkening them and making them dangerous, even with a 3rd tail light.