Hybrids they're everywhere!

JimP

It's my day off today, I drove the wife to work in the GN, since it's the only chance I"ll get to do some maintenance on her car. The GN is not my daily driver, I have an Impala for that but I figured why not take the Buick.

On the way, we're sitting at a light, we're first in line when to my left in the left turning lane a Highlander Hybrid pulls up, then behind me a Prius, to my right a Sonata hybrid, there are a few other cars on the road but I expected traffic to be much heavier. To top it off this red light was extra long, sitting there all you could hear was the GN idling away and filling the air with a hint of the sweetness of Ultra 94 octane fuel. While waiting for the green she began complaining how she's going to be late because she had to wait for me to uncover the car, dust it and hit a couple of panels with quick detailer.

As she went on, I started thinking that for sure a bunch of environmentalists were going to get out of these cars, pull us out and put us in a happy circle. Anyway when the light turned Green I blasted through the intersection tattooing the pavement giving the wife whip lash and filling the air with the smell of Ultra 94 and rubber! I topped that off by saying don't worry honey, I'll get you to work on time, I just need to go back and take a look at the rubber I just laid down first. :) She got to work on time, I posted this and now off to work on her vehicle.

Have a great day guys and gals!

Gas prices go up, hybrid sales follow. The battery recycling business is going to be GREAT in a few years...

I hope the dealerships will actually be able to repair these hybrids and that the owners can afford the bill. heh heh heh

My neighbor just told me she bought a Ford Fusion, hybrid. They are becoming popular for sure. I bet we won't be able to get premium fuel in the future either with the new direct injection technology. Fords ecoboost motors can run on 87 octane.

...I bet we won't be able to get premium fuel in the future either with the new direct injection technology. Fords ecoboost motors can run on 87 octane.

It'll be available, but it'll be like leaded gas; off road use only and expensive... The Ecoboost V6 is 10.3:1 compression ratio too; at 20psi; on 87...

Its only a matter of time...relatively short time that is. Part of me thinks its all bunk but also partly think the tide is turning. Theres alot of people out there that equate burning lotsa gas and go big or go home as a wholesome straight forward approach to life,however there are enough people also who don't want to continue in that direction. Hence the changes in a to b auto's slowly but surely.

I thought about the hybrid route for a second, JUST a second. Then realized what's going to be happening to the owners of those cars when they've owned them for about 7-10 years. (like me, I keep cars for a long time, except this honda I'm driving). It's going to cost them an arm and a leg to replace those batteries.

Nope, no hybrid in my future. I'm looking seriously at the ecoboost route. Especially the Ford Edge 2.0 ecoboost. It pulls down 30 mpg highway!!! and still has respectable power.