You can type here any text you want

Hyd Roller cam feedback wanted

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

geno

9sec 17MPG Street Car
Staff member
Anybody care to give any feedback on hyd roller cams:) Im thinking of trying one from Dan Streso or however you spell his last name:D
How fast you have went?
How long its been in your car?
Were you got it and the specs ?
How it idles?
What you paid?
Ect Ect

I'd just call him, you know he won't steer you wrong, he has his cams in some of the fastest cars out there.

I am using a 224/224 from Dan, tell him what your goals are and he will fix you up...........he really knows his turbo cam stuff!

Dan knows his stuff but i wanted to know how fast guys have went on hyd rollers:) and how they like them:cool:
Ted
Did you go 9.29 @ 146.91 with a hyd roller cam and how rpm do you shift at?

On a bone stock shortblock with iron heads/stock unported headers and a stock throttle body i went just under 135mph through the exhaust with a hyd roller.......my third hyd roller i have tried.
Been so long since i have had a flat tappet cam, i will never go back to one though!
If i am still in the game, i want to try solid roller with a built bottom end.
Pulled like a mother on the street with a 76 gtq, but fuel management is picky.
Not sure i am helping............

No, mine is a solid. I know that there is a TSM guy running his hydrolic roller and he has a record set with it.

I shift at 6800.

gene---i have always used hyd. roller. i have rev'ed to 6800 rpm's and never a problem. with the cam anyway! altho---i am using a solid in the stage motor because i plan on rev'ing to 7200 or so. merry x-mas. len

Call Billy A. Strezo would not give me any specifics on a solid roller for my combo when I called him. Guess he wanted the money before he would indulge me. Billy A was very helpful and generally congenial when I spoke with hiim. I ended up buying my solid from him. Damn sure not gonna buy a cam from a guy who won't even give me the grind specifics.....Form your own opinion.

As far as a hyd roller goes, I went 127 on a 206/206 Weber hyd roller iron head combo at 25psi. I liked it, provided alot of cyl pressure and pulled hard to 6k. It did sound alot like a solid roller though...I always attributed the noise to the spring pressure, but later found that my lifter bores were bushed and drilled for solid lifters. I bought the car with the hyd roller in it. The hyd pulled much harder than any flat tappet I had up to that point. The solid pulls much harder than the hyd roller.... Gained a consistent 10 mph on 4psi less boost with the swap to the solid and unported GN1R's. HTH Scott

Originally posted by LV GN
gene---i have always used hyd. roller. i have rev'ed to 6800 rpm's and never a problem. with the cam anyway! altho---i am using a solid in the stage motor because i plan on rev'ing to 7200 or so. merry x-mas. len

This brings up another question I've been asking myself.
How practical would a solid roller be for a street driven GN (occasionally raced) be?? (Aluminum BMS SII block and heads)
Since I'm somewhat limited in displacement 3.8 bore (+.030-.040max) I'll need it to withstand plenty of quick boost, but also will need it to be able to "wind tight" (upwards of 8,000+rpm) reliably, which probably means a solid roller as apposed to hyd.

Well i have driven a good 10000 miles on my soild lifters with a hyd roller 224 cam. I set the lash at.007 I have inspected the cam and lifters for wear and everything is like new, no bad lifters wheels or wear on the cam. This engine has been idled for many hours in traffic and has seen the most though 6500 rpm. But for your use you sound like its going to have killer valve spring pressures and the lifters are not going to live long. Crane estimates about 4000 miles for lifters ro be checked for "wear" I had a friedn will a bbc with a750 lift cam he drove it on the stree alot, after 2 years the lifter bearings failed the wheel broke, and basically took out the block. If you run crazy spring pressure be prepared to check the lifters alot . This is what kills the roller bearings. :(

geno. I e mailed you a cam card of a 224-224 roller that I used with hyd and solid roller lifters. Hope you received the info.
Roller cams the only way fly :D

Hey my buddy Laz has a solid roller cam for sale on turbo buicks he can't post on here because they dissabled his account its a 224 /224 577/577 112 odd fire nose .

Back