You can type here any text you want

Hydraulic Roller Cam....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

STP

Narrow A$$ Racing
Buildup is 276" Stage 2 offcenter, BMS crank, carrillo rods, iron heads, stock rockers, stock intake etc....Camshaft is a comp cams 212/206 hydraulic roller...Should this cam make any noise?? Thought the car had roller rockers on it until i pulled the valve cover....Sounds just like roller rockers when fired cold, then slowly gets quieter as the oil temp comes up. Never ran a roller cam prior so I don't know if it's "supposed" to sound like this. I hope it's normal : ) TIA

Hydraulic rollers are usually pretty quiet.

Did you actually measure for the correct pushrod length or are you guessing that what was part of the kit is correct?

I bought the car complete...I didn't measure any pushrod length....but I spoke with the guy who built the car and he said it didn't make any noise when he had it. But that was 3 years ago and he might not remember it. I've put 10 passes on the car since i've had it, and driven it a few hundred miles...All 125 mph passes with a best of 11.09 on radials.....If something was wrong it should have shown itself before now...ie bent valve, pushrod, etc....I bought the car from the second owner....Stock rockers, comp cams pakaloy springs, comp hydraulic rollers. Took the driver side valve cover off tonight and let it idle..All rockers appear to be moving properly, so no cam probs. Plus the noise is very consistent on both banks. Car runs well and shows no signs of valve float...sounds like roller rockers, but none there. It's almost like it is supposed to make the noise. thx Scott

Scott

I have often wondered if the more spring presure used the more
valve train noise , that seems to go hand in hand .

I am assuming that the pakaloy springs in your motor are the comp cams 941 single spring , a tight little single spring if there was ever one .

I have used many hyd roller cams and the noise is different than say a flat tappet cam ,something I have gotten used to but just not as quite as the old stockers w/50 lb springs.

That is a small cam(206-212) for a 276 cu inch mtr , I thought I had a small cam for my 272 eng (218-212 hyd roller)

Later Mark

Hey Mark, thanks for the reply. Yea the cam is small as well as the rest of the combo...TE-45, stock manifolds, 55's, iron heads, etc...Maybe i shouldn't be worried, but it scared me a little when i pulled the valve covers and saw no roller rockers...I've never run a roller so I don't know how they are supposed to sound...Should i pull the intake? Or would a problem have shown itself before now? Maybe normal, but i'd sure like to know for sure : ) I've heard cars with billet rollers, and they make less noise...The springs you spoke of are the ones I run. Car seems to pull pretty good on the big end....The engine has about 4k miles on it and hasn't been opened to my knowledge....Scott

Roller cam

Hi STP,
I am running a 212/206 atr roller with the Webber front torington bearing. I also have T&D rr, the roller is loader than a flat tappet. I have tried several different lash setting but it did not seem to make a difference. Springs are CC 941 installed at 1.750 push rods had to be measured for correct length. My SBC friends knew exactly what type of tappet cam it was when they heard the motor run.
Peachs,:)

Scott

I dont think there is anything really wrong or it would have showed itself by now , I wouldnt pull the intake .

You could check the lifter preload by just pulling the valve cover and the rocker shafts , .020 to .060 is recm'd by comp cams , but there is room to fudge a little each way .Not sure that would be necessary at this point , noise is relative .
What is noisey in my garage is quiet once I get around other cars and engine noises .

I have had trouble in the past with breaking stock type rocker shafts with 941 springs and roller cams , but I think there are billet type stock rocker shafts aval. now and maybe thats what you have .

You have an interesting combo there,keep us up to date on you progress

Mark

Tom, saw you in Reynolds but never made it over to talk to you...I left early sat afternoon after blowing an intercooler pipe off at as I went thru the lights!! What an embarassment as i limped down the return road...And can you believe the pipe was in the middle of the track and they ran two cars after mine with the pipe still there!! I couldn't get back to the ticket shack fast enough to tell them!! Embarassing and lucky someone didn't hit it...the T-bolt clamps let me down for the first time. It was pretty mangled after being rubbed across the track for a ways...How'd you do in Reynolds?

Mark, thx for the advice on the 941's. I only want a 10.99 pass from this combo on DR's. Don't think i'm asking too much. I believe it will run that number on 23psi (with stock wastegate will creep to 25-6psi in high gear) with the right tune. EGT read 1550 at 26psi on the 11.09 pass when it blew the intercooler pipe off it. So the timeslip should be just another trip to the track away, hopefully. I wondered about the rocker shafts and the durability of them, but I hadn't heard of any failures other than the plastic buttons coming off. Waiting on the new M&A head..I'm gonna take your advice and check lifter preload on the side that i have open now. Ahhh, I feel better now : ) Just gotta build another intercooler pipe....This one won't blow off when i get thru with it : )

Cam

My 218/212 hydrolic makes a little noise. The cam works well, and I do not think the noise is excessive.

Who's car did you buy?

Ted, this car was built by David Wicks out of Florida. Janice his wife used to race it. I ran into him this past weekend in Reynolds and he gave me some useful info on the car. I don't think the noise is excessive either. The noise this engine is making is awful consistent for it to be out of the ordinary....I think it's normal, so I'm going to leave it be. When fired cold, the pistons slap a little and that along with the cam noise is kinda loud....but it warms up and most of the noise goes away...O well guess I'll run it till I put a set of heads on it this winter...Need a set of old M&A heads..Know of any?

cam

Maybe you got the air conditioning turned down too low in that new garage. Shrinking the pistons.

Do you know the grind / lobe number?

If you look at the Comp Cams catalog in the lobe spec section there are some words in the Extreme Hydraulic Roller section about the design being as aggressive as possible without excessive valvetrain noise.

The extreme / fast ramp cams all sound like sewing machines to me....

I wonder how many extra hp the noisy cams make....?

TurboBob

Don't have a cam card but here's what i do have....grind number #67-000-9 HR111 hydraulic roller 212/206...Just tried Comps' website but it is unavailable. Don't have a comp catalog. Bob, are those numbers in the current comp catalog? Thx Scott

update....

Guys, took the car to the track last weekend...Put 5 passes on it. It ran three straight 11.0's...What a tease!! On radials it ran a best of 11.04 at 126.7 on 23 psi in high gear. Short time was a 1.85 on that pass. It went 102.4 mph in the 1/8th with an et of 7.17...Man i wanted that 10 sec pass. Need to work on the suspension before next season. Think this is all I can expect from this combo? MPH being almost 127 I would think that little turbo's tongue is hanging out....All in all I was pretty happy

Speaking of Cams does anyone have a link for Weber racing. I need to order my camshaft myself. I think i am going to go with 224Hyd. :eek:

cam

Your link to Dave is 440 327 7702;)
I don't think you will see Dave with a web site anytime soon:)
Nice to see your stage project moving along,we need more 9sec buicks.:cool:

Scott,

If you are gunning for a 10.99 pass dump the radials and borrow a pair of slicks. With the 126 MPH you should easily be in the 10.80's. Your 60' times are hurting you. One airbag, slicks...........you know the routine.

Dave

Back