Hydroboost brakes from 84 Regal

http://www.ihadav8.com/forum/index.php?board=13.0

I didn't like that big iron mc either. And for those worried that if the power steering quit you have no brakes, you have brakes, just not power brakes. And she was the last time you had the power steering fail?

I say go for it. Just have to make sure the master cylinder is able to fit with the hydro booster. Some have a retaining piece that gets stuck and your brakes wont work then.

I had pix in that thread but thanks to Photobucket for nothing. If you need pix of anything specific I can post them.

IMAG1437.jpg

Last edited:
http://www.ihadav8.com/forum/index.php?board=13.0

I didn't like that big iron mc either. And for those worried that if the power steering quit you have no brakes, you have brakes, just not power brakes. And she was the last time you had the power steering fail?

I say go for it. Just have to make sure the master cylinder is able to fit with the hydro booster. Some have a retaining piece that gets stuck and your brakes wont work then.

I had pix in that thread but thanks to Photobucket for nothing. If you need pix of anything specific I can post them.

IMAG1437.jpg

What MC did you use? I have a willwood 1” bore tandem and I decided not to do the hrdro boost so I would not have to but another MC, I got this wilwood brand new for 70 bucks, I am installing c6 6 piston calipers and 14 inch rotors today so I figured that would be enough stopping power
9c8d673a9faf560bb75e0bd4ba6b199e.heic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it was a Cadillac part I ordered but it fits other stuff too. Put that number in at rockauto.com and I think it will give a list to hunt wrecking yards if you are into that.

I drive mine as a daily. Been a great setup.

Does that set up have a Booster ?if your engine dies do you have brakes? do you have a pedal or 2 after engine dies? or are brakes out immediately ? Ive always stayed away from this set up due to that reason not 100% sure but I dont see a reservoir .

BobbyBuick... to expand on what Turboelky stated:

"Similar to the vacuum booster, the hydro-boost is equipped with a backup or reserve in case the source of pressurized fluid is lost. A failure in the power steering system, such as a broken hose, broken power steering pump drive belt, or failed pump, would result in a loss of pressure to both the hydro-boost and steering gear. The hydro-boost uses a high-pressure accumulator to store power steering fluid under pressure in the event of a failure. There are two types of accumulators used, some hydro-boost units use an external accumulator, while others incorporate the accumulator in the power piston. The accumulator could be either of the spring-loaded variety or nitrogen-gas type.

In the event of a loss of pressurized fluid, the accumulator will provide two to three power assisted stops. Upon the first application of the brakes after an engine stall or loss of power steering, you would find approximately 60 to 75% of the normal assist available. If you were to release and apply the brakes again, you would find approximately 30% to 40% assist, then again approximately 10% to 20%, until you have depleted all stored reserve assist. Once you have depleted all of the stored pressure, the brakes will no longer have power assist and will be manual in their operations."

The new Bosch units have an accumulator... it is the silver cylinder at the 2 o'clock position below...
IMG_0124.jpg

BobbyBuick... to expand on what Turboelky stated:

"Similar to the vacuum booster, the hydro-boost is equipped with a backup or reserve in case the source of pressurized fluid is lost. A failure in the power steering system, such as a broken hose, broken power steering pump drive belt, or failed pump, would result in a loss of pressure to both the hydro-boost and steering gear. The hydro-boost uses a high-pressure accumulator to store power steering fluid under pressure in the event of a failure. There are two types of accumulators used, some hydro-boost units use an external accumulator, while others incorporate the accumulator in the power piston. The accumulator could be either of the spring-loaded variety or nitrogen-gas type.

In the event of a loss of pressurized fluid, the accumulator will provide two to three power assisted stops. Upon the first application of the brakes after an engine stall or loss of power steering, you would find approximately 60 to 75% of the normal assist available. If you were to release and apply the brakes again, you would find approximately 30% to 40% assist, then again approximately 10% to 20%, until you have depleted all stored reserve assist. Once you have depleted all of the stored pressure, the brakes will no longer have power assist and will be manual in their operations."

The new Bosch units have an accumulator... it is the silver cylinder at the 2 o'clock position below...
View attachment 320809

How much for one of those bosch units? Just curious

I got my hydro boost system from Tallon Hydraulics last summer... I think the whole thing was $900 but that included the master and a full hose set. It came with detail instructions that made it a straight forward install. They were also very helpful on the phone with the few questions I did have.

I just checked my system and after I shut off the car I got 3-4 good 'assisted' pushes on the brake pedal.

My advice to anyone doing this conversion is to:

1) buy a new unit... I have seem so many posts of issues and more often then not time it came down to a remanufactured unit.

2) I have a PCS large PS fluid reservoir... the extra capacity helps prevents cavitation of the fluid and also helps keeps things cooler. With the stock reservoir I had some of fluid cavitation and some not great low speed steering performance.

3) I also sent my PS pump to Lee Steering on CA and had it optimized for hydro boost. This greatly reduced the noise and it greatly improved the low speed power steering performance. The car steers like my dad’s 82 Rivera (that is a good thing).

I am not seeing the full hydro boost benefit yet as I have stock brakes... that will change this summer as I am going to do do the C5 Corvette 12" brake swap in the front. the back already has S-10 drums that I will probably leave.

I got my hydro boost system from Tallon Hydraulics last summer... I think the whole thing was $900 but that included the master and a full hose set. It came with detail instructions that made it a straight forward install. They were also very helpful on the phone with the few questions I did have.

I just checked my system and after I shut off the car I got 3-4 good 'assisted' pushes on the brake pedal.

My advice to anyone doing this conversion is to:

1) buy a new unit... I have seem so many posts of issues and more often then not time it came down to a remanufactured unit.

2) I have a PCS large PS fluid reservoir... the extra capacity helps prevents cavitation of the fluid and also helps keeps things cooler. With the stock reservoir I had some of fluid cavitation and some not great low speed steering performance.

3) I also sent my PS pump to Lee Steering on CA and had it optimized for hydro boost. This greatly reduced the noise and it greatly improved the low speed power steering performance. The car steers like my dad’s 82 Rivera (that is a good thing).

I am not seeing the full hydro boost benefit yet as I have stock brakes... that will change this summer as I am going to do do the C5 Corvette 12" brake swap in the front. the back already has S-10 drums that I will probably leave.

Thanks for the info, I currently have vacuum brakes, but wanted hydroboost. How ever now I have a wilwood mc 6 piston w14”rotors c6 calipers and 4 piston w/13” rotors for rears, I assume vacuum should be fine, but the hydroboost is still in the back of my mind

If the engine dies, you just have no power steering or power brakes. You can still steer and you still have non power brakes. Same as if the serpentine belt gets thrown. I don't think it is a big concern. Way bigger likely hood of a powermaster failing than hydroboost failing imo. At least that has been my experience.