Hydroboost conversion using Astro Van HB unit.

Awesome!

I worked on my engine last night to almost midnight.....getting it ready to drop in....

You got any pics?

How did you do your conversion? ..... HB base plate? the rod? .... the lines?

Again... pics?

Great job.

I hope to get mine running in the next week or so.... engine may go in tonight.... :biggrin:

I copied your idea on cutting the hydroboost plate and drilling out holes for the studs on the existing firewall mounting plate. I loved how you did that, and what a piece of cake. 15 min and your done.

The rod I just welded like tinman and yourself. I but welded it then slid a small sleeve over the weld and welded all the way around on both ends. The only change I made here was I used the hydroboost rod end. I did not cut my P/M rod end off. I found a heavy nylon bushing with the same I.D of the brake pedal rod, and close to the same size O.D. just trimmed and installed. Worked great!

I made my lines through Napa. They worked out wonderful. The napa was nice enough to let me take the lines and fittings home so I could lay them out and mark them before they were crimped. Fit up perfect!

I was very pleased with the install. Again it all payed off last night when I got to go out and drive the car. I gaurantee you will be so surprised. I know everyone says that, but it was more than I expected. The rock solid pedal, and stopping distance was great. I could really tell the difference. You will be so happy!

Be careful!

TinMan who has also done the HB conversion.... found out his brakes would hold more than the tranny would... LOL.....he broke his 2004R sitting in is driveway.....

I am pumped about this conversion....

Good to know! It would be my luck to pop it!:biggrin:

In looking at mine some more.... now that I have the additional room after moving the reservoir... I think the way to go would be to take it a step further... and make an aluminum spacer.... about 1 - 1-1/4" thick... (the spacer would be similar in appearance to the modified cut HB plate I made....only thicker.....) .....to move the HB further forward.... so that it would still be a bolt in.... but you would not need to modify the HB in any way.... just use the un-cut rod.... and bush it like you did.

You would likely have to countersink the nuts in the aluminum block.... because the original studs might not be long enough.

The plus to that is... if the HB unit were to go out.... it would just be a un-bolt.... go get a new one at the parts house....and bolt the new one up....

In looking at mine some more.... now that I have the additional room after moving the reservoir... I think the way to go would be to take it a step further... and make an aluminum spacer.... about 1 - 1-1/4" thick... (the spacer would be similar in appearance to the modified cut HB plate I made....only thicker.....) .....to move the HB further forward.... so that it would still be a bolt in.... but you would not need to modify the HB in any way.... just use the un-cut rod.... and bush it like you did.

You would likely have to countersink the nuts in the aluminum block.... because the original studs might not be long enough.

The plus to that is... if the HB unit were to go out.... it would just be a un-bolt.... go get a new one at the parts house....and bolt the new one up....
Yes that would certainly make swaps easier. I'll take some pics, I should have taken them throughout the install.

Well I just picked up a hydroboost unit from the junkyard yesterday, pulled it off of a 1998 Astro Van...looked pretty clean. I see that there is no way the van firewall bracket will work for the booick. Autozone here wants $283 for an exchange unit, it would be more had I not picked one myself at the junk yard. Did anyone just use the hydroboost they pulled straight from the donor vehicle? I will get pics up soon

Well I just picked up a hydroboost unit from the junkyard yesterday, pulled it off of a 1998 Astro Van...looked pretty clean. I see that there is no way the van firewall bracket will work for the booick. Autozone here wants $283 for an exchange unit, it would be more had I not picked one myself at the junk yard. Did anyone just use the hydroboost they pulled straight from the donor vehicle? I will get pics up soon

I am probably going to re-do mine so I can "drop one in".... without modifications.... going to require a custom plate/plates to bolt to the existing firewall bracket... and maybe longer studs.....then a bushing to bush the Astro van rod to the smaller pin on the PM pedal.

I am happy to see my original post has helped others. Just as an FYI, I was having an issue with the rear brakes locking up before the front at speed. This is a very bad thing. I had the S10 wheel cylinders and longer brake shoes in place before I found the solution (Hydroboost). This upset the factory bias. I switched back to the old cylinders and shoes and no problems whatsoever. At the same time, I replaced the fluid with German ATE Super Blue Racing fluid. My brakes will put you through the windshield.

ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid

I am happy to see my original post has helped others. Just as an FYI, I was having an issue with the rear brakes locking up before the front at speed. This is a very bad thing. I had the S10 wheel cylinders and longer brake shoes in place before I found the solution (Hydroboost). This upset the factory bias. I switched back to the old cylinders and shoes and no problems whatsoever. At the same time, I replaced the fluid with German ATE Super Blue Racing fluid. My brakes will put you through the windshield.

Glad you posted back up...

I assume you got that tranny fixed? What broke? What boost were you at when it went "boom"?

I am trying to take this conversion to a new level... and make the HB a bolt in..... no mods necessary....

I would like to figure out what the lines would need to be made and have NAPA fab up some new lines that would be a bolt in..... and a plate for the base of the HB... where you wouldn't need to modify the rod at all...

Glad you posted back up...

I assume you got that tranny fixed? What broke? What boost were you at when it went "boom"?

It snapped the input shaft cleanly in two. That took out the torque converter. Had the converter rebuilt and the trans. The trans has all the billet hard parts and a transbrake now. It's been awhile but I think I was around 12lbs and the car wasn't even budging.

Bolt in would be nice. I kinda enjoyed the fabrication.

Did you have a specific question about the lines?

It snapped the input shaft cleanly in two. That took out the torque converter. Had the converter rebuilt and the trans. The trans has all the billet hard parts and a transbrake now. It's been awhile but I think I was around 12lbs and the car wasn't even budging.

Bolt in would be nice. I kinda enjoyed the fabrication.

Did you have a specific question about the lines?

Not a specific question.... I ended up using a stock '85 GN HB to Gear line... and a stock '85 HB to pump line that I plan to cut and splice with the hard line coming off the '87 PS pump. I think one of the other posters on this thread had his lines made at NAPA.... IMHO... this would probably look better if you spent the time to lay everything out nice.... and be fairly cheap too...

Well looks like I just found the NEXT project for the brick! Thanks for posting all your findings and hard work. Jon Hanson

pics

pics

ok lets try this again! Ok I snapped a few pics. The Napa lines are truly the way to go. I you can see the 90's on either side of the hb. I couldn't get the 90 on the pump to come out clear, plus everything is back on the car. You can see the 45 I choose to use going into the gear box. I also took a pic of the reciept. I will attach a pic of the pn# for the line I used as well. Simple I got an adapter for each union (i.e. ps pump, both sides of the hb, and the gear box). Each adapter changes the outlet to a standard 6an crimpable fitting. Just be sure to take the hose home and mock it up. Then run your lines how you want and cut to length and then mark where your fittings meet the line so then you can crimp it that way. This stuff has no give so double and triple check yourself. Went in like a breeze. If anyone would like a better pic on any one part of the install I can try to take pics for you. J

Attachments

• IMG_2492.jpg
    IMG_2492.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 620
  • IMG_2493.jpg
    IMG_2493.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 637
  • IMG_2494.jpg
    IMG_2494.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 602
  • IMG_2496.jpg
    IMG_2496.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 605
  • IMG_2500.jpg
    IMG_2500.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 618
here is the second half of the reciept. This has the part number on the hose.

Attachments

• IMG_2499.jpg
    IMG_2499.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 573
Awesomeness, the Napa lines look very clean! Thanks for the photos of the receipt! Could I see some photos of the hydroboost to firewall mounting? The more I stare at it, the more it's making sense. Also how about a full engine bay shot, to see how all the lines look...Thanks guys! Very good jobs, can't wait to hear how the cars stop now!

Awesomeness, the Napa lines look very clean! Thanks for the photos of the receipt! Could I see some photos of the hydroboost to firewall mounting? The more I stare at it, the more it's making sense. Also how about a full engine bay shot, to see how all the lines look...Thanks guys! Very good jobs, can't wait to hear how the cars stop now!

I'll get you some pics today. If you read through the post You will see what Blazer did. I copied him exactly. We got ours through the pick n pull. We both just unbolted them from the fire wall of astro/safari van. When you get the hb unit off it has this thick plate with the 4 studs for the firewall. We both cut this plate mimmicking the PM where it bolts on to the 2 studs on our cars firewall. So now we could use our cars factory firewall plate and just bolt the hb to it exactly how the pm was. You will then need to cut down the rod that attaches to the brake pedal to useable length. Blazer had an excellent idea to make the rod treaded for adjustability. I thought about it, but decided against it. We do have to be safe here, this does connect us to the brakes. I choose to play it safe and do like tinman, and blazer both and just weld the rod (easier and safer). I do think if we follow along with this thread and watch it play out we will be surprised. Blazer is onto something here that could really help our community out. I know that there are kits out there, but why spend the money! Look at the vacuum brake conversions! They work, may not be the best, but to someone who is on a budget and wants more reliability it was a good mod. You could go to a junkyard and piece together a new brake system. Now thanks to the hard work of people like tinman, blazer, and I'm sure others who have had input on this mod. We can have excellent brakes at an affordable price. It certainly compares to the price of vacuum brakes, and you can go to the junkyard to get your parts. Have your lines made and install yourself. Fairly easy mod if you do your homework and lay everything out. I had my hb mocked up a couple of times before I got everything perfect. If we had a spacer plate that blazer is speaking of this would make it easier in the sense of not cutting down your rod. The only thing we both had to do was relocate the power steering resevior. The M/C interferes with the cap. So we would need to come up with a bolt in bracket to relocate the power steering resevior. Since at that point the the master cylinder would be moved about an inch further out than what it is currently. I have been driving on the brakes for a week now! Simply one of the best mods you could do. The brakes feel so much better than they ever did with my PM. I cant tell you enough much you will like these brakes. Anyways I am done rambling on. Ill get your pics. J

Not a specific question.... I ended up using a stock '85 GN HB to Gear line... and a stock '85 HB to pump line that I plan to cut and splice with the hard line coming off the '87 PS pump. I think one of the other posters on this thread had his lines made at NAPA.... IMHO... this would probably look better if you spent the time to lay everything out nice.... and be fairly cheap too...

Does napa custom make lines like this to the point where you can just measure the angles and lengths you need? I wondered this as I have gotten custom length hydraulic hoses before, and you can also get them with swivel ends to make it much easier to maneuver.

brakepedal push rod

Does anyone know if the brake pedal pushrod can be removed? saves all that retro-fitting!!!!