You can type here any text you want

Hydroboost plumbing & other install Q's

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BlackMetal

Parts are ordered, might as well start figuring out how it's all gunna go in.

HBOOST.jpg

That gives me the basics but it's not 100% accurate for our cars.

If anyone who's done the install can take pictures of lines and where they go in, it would help.

The Tee I need for the return line should be 3/8" on all sides correct?

When I go to order the return line it says it comes in two pieces, a 13" section and a 33" section. Is that correct, or am I only going to need one long return that I splice into the system? I don't want to order it that way and end up with 2 pieces that are too short to use if that's not what I need. That might be how it orignally was on the 84 GN but for this conversion I think I just need one long return?
GEAR TO PUMP

CUT TO 13"

GRAND NATIONAL, T-TYPE

HYDROBOOST TO PUMP

CUT TO 33"

Hey thanks I forgot about that thread. Looks like it'll be VERY helpful. Can't wait for my parts to get here!

Getting to some of those fittings looks like a pain. :eek:

Hey thanks I forgot about that thread. Looks like it'll be VERY helpful. Can't wait for my parts to get here!

Getting to some of those fittings looks like a pain. :eek:

Its not bad at all. If you run across any questions feel free to pm me. I made my own kit, and it ha worked great for me. Congrats on switching to hydroboost. You will love them. I posted pics in Blazers thread, but if you want some specifc pics I will do what I can to help, just let me know. J

Thank you, if I need any specific pics or descriptions I will let you know.

Is any of this easier to get to from under the car?

I drove my car for the first time last night. I didn't even bleed the brakes.... I bench bled the M/C and installed it.... brakes have about 2" of travel then... brakes galore!

I used the stock '85 GN hoses. The HB to gearbox hose is a drop in... albeit almost too short. The stock '87 line coming out of the pump comes straight up.... then 90's toward pass side... horizontal for a few inches... then 90's striaght down..... until it gets under the pump... then 90's back to the drivers side and angles back slightly toward the rear of the car. I cut my factory hard line here.... in that portion.... and cut the stock '85 line from HB to PS pump... cut the last 1-1/2 to 2" off it... was a 180 deg bend almost where I cut it....then took a compression union and spliced the lines together there. It worked fine....

I also teed into the 3/8 line that goes from the remote reservoir to the gearbox......about in the middle.... and installed the tee with the branch looking almost straight toward the firewall.... You can buy PS return hose by the foot. I just hooked into the tee... and back into the HB return port.

In hindsight... I would like to make my own lines like buttonfly did...mine fits.. but it would look better if I bent the steel parts differently and snaked them more close to existing structure...kind-of tucked them in better.

On a side note...I don't know how to bend them without kinking them... I tried to bend some 5/16 steel brake line with my el-cheapo bender (to bench bleed my M/C).......and it kinks the line and egg shapes it if you go past about 45 deg..... so I am not sure if I could bend my own or not...

Well that's what I did I ordered the 84/85 lines, sounds like there's a lot of work to get them to fit....

Well that's what I did I ordered the 84/85 lines, sounds like there's a lot of work to get them to fit....
Don't sweat it. Mine was basically a drop in... just splice the line going from the HB to the PS pump. It took me about 1.5 hours to hook all the lines up.... and I work slow.

Are you talking about splicing in the return line or one of the pressure lines? I knew the return had to be plumbed in but this is the first I'm hearing about having to cut, splice, and use compression fittings on the pressure lines. I thought they were going to fit as-is.

Are you talking about splicing in the return line or one of the pressure lines? I knew the return had to be plumbed in but this is the first I'm hearing about having to cut, splice, and use compression fittings on the pressure lines. I thought they were going to fit as-is.

No... the line from the pump to HB won't bolt up. The 84 and 85 GN had a different PS pump configuration. The '86 and '87 have the pump and remote mounted reservoir..... so the pressure line coming off the pump is different. The only way I see this bolting in w/o modifications.......is if somehow you were running an older style pump with integral reservoir......and I'm not even sure that is possible if it was somehow bolted to the later brackets....

No... the line from the pump to HB won't bolt up. The 84 and 85 GN had a different PS pump configuration. The '86 and '87 have the pump and remote mounted reservoir..... so the pressure line coming off the pump is different. The only way I see this bolting in w/o modifications.......is if somehow you were running an older style pump with integral reservoir......and I'm not even sure that is possible if it was somehow bolted to the later brackets....

So how do you like them???? I have been driving on them for a few weeks now and LOVE them!

So how do you like them???? I have been driving on them for a few weeks now and LOVE them!

Wonderful.... I only put around 30 miles or so on the car last night.... stopping wasn't an issue... and I haven't even bled the system. I'm hooked.

Unfortunately, there is an internal oil pressure issue forcing me to re-pull the engine tonight. Probably be down another few weeks minimum. :mad: :mad:

Wonderful.... I only put around 30 miles or so on the car last night.... stopping wasn't an issue... and I haven't even bled the system. I'm hooked.

Unfortunately, there is an internal oil pressure issue forcing me to re-pull the engine tonight. Probably be down another few weeks minimum. :mad: :mad:

Oh no I am sorry to hear about the motor! Good deal about the brakes!

Well I have some people telling me the 85 lines will work and others saying they won't. Now I dunno what to think.

Well I have some people telling me the 85 lines will work and others saying they won't. Now I dunno what to think.

Lee Thompson did his conversion similar to mine..... he spliced his. ButtonFly did custom made hoses. TinMan used the stainless hoses from PowerBrakeBob I think...... I read alot. I went in knowing I would have to do something different on my PS pump to HB line. I chose the cheaper route.... to splice a new 85 hose onto the stock '87 hardline coming out of the pump. I cut mine with a hacksaw... deburred...flushed lines with brake parts cleaner... and put compression union on it.... 60 seconds later...they were married.... no leaks.

To start... I installed the '85 line on the HB... and saw where I wanted to route it....then held it up to the '87 hardline... saw where the splice needed to be.... cut both lines and add compression union. I got this from the guy at Napa... tell them what you want to do.... basically splice brake lines....they have unions just for that.....

Don't sweat it...

Oh no I am sorry to hear about the motor! Good deal about the brakes!

It's just a thing.... it's either fix it now while there isn't anything majorly wrong or wait until it hurts something. The car isn't going to make Bowling Green now... which sux.... but I plan on making Reynolds...

To start... I installed the '85 line on the HB... and saw where I wanted to route it....then held it up to the '87 hardline... saw where the splice needed to be.... cut both lines and add compression union. I got this from the guy at Napa... tell them what you want to do.... basically splice brake lines....they have unions just for that.....

Don't sweat it...

Yeah it doesn't sound too bad, just wasn't expecting it.

jdpolzin is the one telling me the 85 lines would work with no modifications, you two need to duke it out and decide who's correct. ;) ;)

Yeah it doesn't sound too bad, just wasn't expecting it.

jdpolzin is the one telling me the 85 lines would work with no modifications, you two need to duke it out and decide who's correct. ;) ;)

Or you spend a 100 bux and just have them made. The Napa lines I had made are real nice, even with them I still kept the mod to less than 150.00 !

Hydroboost Happiness

Hi Guys! It's been a while since I have been on here, but we are still doing hydroboosts for any and all vehicles. I'm glad that yours worked out well. We still offer new or rebuilt units, and our new alum master cyls are great. It took awhile to get the hoses worked out, but our stainless set with the banjo ends and works very well. We tried the 84 hoses a long time ago, but the outlet of the pump is way off. If anyone has the lengths from pump to H/B and then H/B to box, we could make them up in a prefit set.

Back