You can type here any text you want

Hydroboost plumbing & other install Q's

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Hi Guys! It's been a while since I have been on here, but we are still doing hydroboosts for any and all vehicles. I'm glad that yours worked out well. We still offer new or rebuilt units, and our new alum master cyls are great. It took awhile to get the hoses worked out, but our stainless set with the banjo ends and works very well. We tried the 84 hoses a long time ago, but the outlet of the pump is way off. If anyone has the lengths from pump to H/B and then H/B to box, we could make them up in a prefit set.

If you are going to flaunt your product, please pay vendor fees and back your product to our members
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/brakes-suspensions-tires-wheels/257549-hydroboost-nightmare.html

Hi Guys! It's been a while since I have been on here, but we are still doing hydroboosts for any and all vehicles. I'm glad that yours worked out well. We still offer new or rebuilt units, and our new alum master cyls are great. It took awhile to get the hoses worked out, but our stainless set with the banjo ends and works very well. We tried the 84 hoses a long time ago, but the outlet of the pump is way off. If anyone has the lengths from pump to H/B and then H/B to box, we could make them up in a prefit set.

The 84 hoses work just fine. I just got done about an hour ago converting the 84 hydroboost on my 87. The hose to the pump just needs to be installed from the backside between the pump and feed line. Hook it through the opening and then just straighten it out and install. It takes about 10 minutes to install.

Well I'd love for someone to come to my garage and perform that magic trick for me, I could not get the lines to work. Even the exact way you said, feeding it behind that large diameter line, couldn't get it. Just trying to fight the line by twisting it 180 degrees from the way it naturally wants to sit, and trying to get it at the perfect angle to start threading in, seemed impossible to me.

Even tried removing the pump, got the line hooked up, then went to bolt the pump back down, and the hardline was hitting somewhere and not letting it fit.

So I've gone ahead and spliced it into the stock line under the pump and hopefully that will work. I'm a little worried that the compression union I used is going to leak, so we'll see how it turns out. If it leaks I'm making my own braided hose and ending this once and for all.

Might get it all wrapped up tomorrow. I was delayed waiting for my 3/8" return line tee in the mail, finally emailed the person and they said their ordering system never alerted them to the sale, so they hadn't even shipped it yet. It finally arrived today.

This was my first attempt with the 84 line in FRONT of that larger line. This is as far as I could twist it.
DSC04297.jpg

This was me trying to sneak it behind that larger line:
DSC04299.jpg

This was the line bolted to the pump and trying to reinstall it, hardline clearing hitting the AC compressor before the pump was anywhere near it's mounting holes:
DSC04301.jpg

Looking at these pictures it sure does seem like it should have been able to reach when routed behind that larger line, but hey too late now I already chopped and spliced the lines together. Looks like the one thing I didn't do was trying feeding it behind the large line with the pump unbolted, at that point I was pissed off and went to the store to get the fittings to splice it to the 87 line.

I would definitely recommend the 84 line going from the booster to the steering rack, that one is a 100% perfect fit, but for the other line, if I could do it over again, I'd definitely spend a few bucks at Summit for some high pressure line and some fittings, and have a much easier time with it. I believe you would need a 16mm O-ring and 18mm O-ring fitting, both adapting to -6 AN. Then get some hose and -6 hose ends and you're set.

Sorry you are having issues..... I didn't even try to put the line in directly to the pump..... I took one look and couldn't imagine how it might come close to fitting.

I did the splice... to the stock '87 hardline under the PS pump.... works for me...

You got yours up yet?

Nope not yet, everything is set except for the power steering reservoir where I cracked off the return port. Trying to epoxy it at least long enough to try the brakes but it's not holding. Probably have to wait a few days for a new reservoir to come in the mail. I think I win the longest hydroboost install ever.

Nope not yet, everything is set except for the power steering reservoir where I cracked off the return port. Trying to epoxy it at least long enough to try the brakes but it's not holding. Probably have to wait a few days for a new reservoir to come in the mail. I think I win the longest hydroboost install ever.

Dang.... you just can't catch a break.......

:frown:

Dang.... you just can't catch a break.......

:frown:

Lol yeah I haven't been having a good week. And I still have to see if any of this leaks, which it probably will.

I might have my reservoir patched up well enough with epoxy to at least try it tomorrow.

Lol yeah I haven't been having a good week. And I still have to see if any of this leaks, which it probably will.

I might have my reservoir patched up well enough with epoxy to at least try it tomorrow.

Well... it could be worse... I just got my motor put in after a 3 year down stretch.....cranked it and drove it Thursday before last.... nearly zero oil pressure idling hot....pulled the engine again Saturday before last (2 days later) ..... got problem identified... (I hope) .... fixed... and it is ready to go back into the car...should drop it in tomorrow after work....

Now.... don't you feel better? :rolleyes:

Yeah that doesn't sound fun either. Doesn't help that the last 2 days have been perfect weather and my car is in the garage torn apart.

I'm going to try tomorrow. The reservoir is patched up but the problem is when I installed the 3/8 return line onto it it's enough stress to crack it right off again. But I think I did a better job reattaching it this time. Just want it to last long enough to try out the brakes, obviously wouldn't drive the car for any length of time knowing that the reservoir is ready to crack again.

Yeah that doesn't sound fun either. Doesn't help that the last 2 days have been perfect weather and my car is in the garage torn apart.

I'm going to try tomorrow. The reservoir is patched up but the problem is when I installed the 3/8 return line onto it it's enough stress to crack it right off again. But I think I did a better job reattaching it this time. Just want it to last long enough to try out the brakes, obviously wouldn't drive the car for any length of time knowing that the reservoir is ready to crack again.

I heard of others busting their return ports... so I carefully removed the line (afterI marked where I wanted to insert the tee)... and cut the hose while it wasn't attached..... guess I should have given that advice...... sorry... :mad:

You'll get it.... and I certanily think and hope it will be worth it...

Yeah I was rushing at the point that I snapped it off, my fault. This plastic is very brittle.

All that's left is to reinstall my brake light switch on the brake pedal, bolt the drivers seat back in, try to get this reservoir installed and put in some fluid.

Yeah I was rushing at the point that I snapped it off, my fault. This plastic is very brittle.

All that's left is to reinstall my brake light switch on the brake pedal, bolt the drivers seat back in, try to get this reservoir installed and put in some fluid.

I highly recommend bench bleeding the m/c before you put a pile of air into your brake lines.... I did mine... and didn't even bleed my brakes yet....if there is any air in mine it is a extremely small amount.....so little I can't tell by the pedal feel.

Here's what worked for me. I had to patch one while I waited on a replacement. Take a piece of coat hanger and welding rod and put in in the return port. (It will come out later) it's to reinforce it until the epoxy dries. Might want to give it a coat of grease or something to keep it from becoming a permanent part. Then use JB Weld on the return line.

I highly recommend bench bleeding the m/c before you put a pile of air into your brake lines.... I did mine... and didn't even bleed my brakes yet....if there is any air in mine it is a extremely small amount.....so little I can't tell by the pedal feel.

Yeah I already bench bled my MC.

Here's what worked for me. I had to patch one while I waited on a replacement. Take a piece of coat hanger and welding rod and put in in the return port. (It will come out later) it's to reinforce it until the epoxy dries. Might want to give it a coat of grease or something to keep it from becoming a permanent part. Then use JB Weld on the return line.

Thanks for the tip, if it breaks off again I will try that.

when I did my 84 to 87 conversion it was simple. no extra parts or fittings. I just ran all the return lines together with a t fitting. using the 87 pump and reservoir. by taking the steel line off the pump I rolled the high pressure line up under the ac right in to the pump. looks like gm didn't keep all the fittings the same if yours don't fit.

when I did my 84 to 87 conversion it was simple. no extra parts or fittings. I just ran all the return lines together with a t fitting. using the 87 pump and reservoir. by taking the steel line off the pump I rolled the high pressure line up under the ac right in to the pump. looks like gm didn't keep all the fittings the same if yours don't fit.

It is the right fitting I just don't understand how you guys are able to bend that line up under the AC compressor and twist it around 180 degrees in order to screw it into the pump.

It is the right fitting I just don't understand how you guys are able to bend that line up under the AC compressor and twist it around 180 degrees in order to screw it into the pump.

You must install the line at the pump before you attach it at the hydroboost. That way you have all the play you need at the pump for twisting, tweaking, bending , although it only needs the smallest persuasion to start the threads. If you try to do it after you have installed the hose at the hydroboost you'll never have the leverage or slack to persuade it to where it needs to go to get the threads started.

Good picture from another post.

Attachments

• get-attachment.jpg
    get-attachment.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 218
You must install the line at the pump before you attach it at the hydroboost. That way you have all the play you need at the pump for twisting, tweaking, bending , although it only needs the smallest persuasion to start the threads. If you try to do it after you have installed the hose at the hydroboost you'll never have the leverage or slack to persuade it to where it needs to go to get the threads started.

Yeah, foolishly realized that after spending a day wrestling with it. But it's a dead issue now, I ended up splicing into the factory hardline that bends around underneath the power steering pump. Compression union isn't leaking so all should be good.

That picture would have been helpful lol.

Back