You can type here any text you want

Hydroboost question ASAP?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

davidf

Heeeelp!!! I have a local cop friend with a GN also. He had a local shop do a front brake job today. The pedal went to the floor afterwards and they bled them with no results. Whats wrong? They are stumped and he is naturally worried. What went wrong? What is needed? Huge thanks.

Thats normal the first time the brake pedal is pressed after a brake job.
After a couple pumps, it should be fine.

Just from what took out of the conversation, they went to the floor but never built up pressure so they bled the brakes which I think is nomally unnesassary just for front pads.

Either what Rick said or, if they didn't open the bleeders when they pushed the pistons in, they might have rolled the cups in the master. Seen it before but kind of hard to do.

David, are you mixing up the Hydroboost with the PowerMaster again??
Yes I am %#@&*^!:redface: The story has changed since. Just got off the phone and it was the rear shoes that were changed, not from pads. This kinda changes everything. I've changed many many rear shoes with rarely having pumping issues. He's sweating bullets about having to buy a reman'd powermaster. Sorry for the huge typeo!:redface:

I figured you got those mixed up!!!!!!!! Well hopefully he'll get it figured out. He may ave not installed one of the shoes against the rear wheel cylinder and it may just be pressing the wheel cylinder completely out and past the shoe.

Ya know that did cross my mind. I'm gonna swing by the guys shop tomorrow and give it a look.

if the rear shoes aren't adjusted out properly, the pedal could go waaaay down to the floor until you pump it a few times and the rods actually push the shoes out against the drums. then, if you let the pressure bleed off, the shoes wil lcompletely retract and it will feel like no brakes again.
the solution is to get under the car with a screwdriver andcrank out the star wheels until the shoes have a slight drag on the drums, then do a few hard stops in reverse to get the shoes to self adjust.

if the rear shoes aren't adjusted out properly, the pedal could go waaaay down to the floor until you pump it a few times and the rods actually push the shoes out against the drums. then, if you let the pressure bleed off, the shoes wil lcompletely retract and it will feel like no brakes again.
the solution is to get under the car with a screwdriver andcrank out the star wheels until the shoes have a slight drag on the drums, then do a few hard stops in reverse to get the shoes to self adjust.
Hey Guys, My customer referred me to your site to find answers to some of the questions on his GN, Let me first say that after spending a hour or so reading your forum that you guys know these cars front to back and top to bottom and I am impressed..... Thanks for sharing your knowledge. The GN in question was in my shop for engine repair and he also said check the brakes they are fading....... Front looks great and rear shoes had plenty of meat but were crystallized; The drums turned and are still in spec. wheel cylinders were great with no leakage so we replaced shoes, adjusted and should have been done...... Test drive shows good peddle but brakes fade to the floor with very little pressure ..... No leaks in system and I suspect master cylinder is bypassing due to contamination of fluid..... Cure replace master cylinder ..... COST is making me second guess the failure but I know that it is what it is regardless of cost !!! There is some other conversions that will work and I will let you know, Thanks again, Steve

Try shimming the master away from the booster with a couple washers. You wont have to disconnect the brakes lines to do this. Start with 2 washer and see if there is an effective change. Then try with one washer for another effective change. Sometimes the piston in the reman Masters arent set to the correct depth causing the port to only be open for a short time before it compresses the fluid.

What method did you use to bleed the brakes? Bleed them with the pedal all the way through the system, the old fashion way. I've seen sooooo many people think they have the brakes bled and search for things that may be wrong, spending more money, and it ends up just needing to be bled with the pedal.

Back