You can type here any text you want

hydroboost question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

rag231

My uncle picked up 2 Astro van hydroboost brake booster set ups. I know the angle of the fire wall bracket is different. What else is different and needed or would it be more feasible to go the Rock Auto route?

Depends on your goals. If you want/need the accumulator, you need a custom bracket to mount the astro van piece.
If you want to bolt it in and bleed the systems the 84 T-Type unit is the way to go.
Chuck Leeper has the astro van unit with pix if you search. It is a super clean install but does use a custom bracket.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Depends on your goals. If you want/need the accumulator, you need a custom bracket to mount the astro van piece.
If you want to bolt it in and bleed the systems the 84 T-Type unit is the way to go.
Chuck Leeper has the astro van unit with pix if you search. It is a super clean install but does use a custom bracket.
If you want the brkt, I think Elliott Sydnam, [in Dallas,Tx] will put it on your booster for you.
HB on Buick 001.jpg HB on Buick 003.jpg

I just did the 84 setup on my car and the install was pretty quick, pedal is much firmer and I think once I replace the wheel cylinders and the front lines I'll finally have brakes I trust.

that's all that I am trying to achieve, brakes that I can trust.

Please excuse my ignorance, but I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping someone more knowledgable will be abler to answer.

Does one really need the accumulator on a HB system? After all GM didn't use an accumulator on the 84-85 HB units that were installed on these cars .
What does this do?

That is a good question. I have seen HB's with no accummulator, 2 inch, 4 inch and now a 6 inch version. Hopefully it stores fluid for emergencies.

I will muddy the waters some here. I have the 84 non accumulator on my 87. I think it works great.
I have the 99 accumulator version on my 99 suburban. Works great. Though I have lost a belt due to a tensioner pulley failure. This is not a fun situation . You are faced with no power steering or power brakes very quickly . Even with the accumulator. Made me know to keep an eye on the tensioner and idler pulleys and keep a good belt on it as I didn't want to repeat that.
If it makes you feel better to spend more and have the accumulator by all means don't be held back .
If you are cheap like me and like the idea of a pretty much bolt on swap, the 84 setup is factory engineered with 30 year old tech. Stops my car better that stock ever did and high boost launches are a pedal push away.
Your money and time, your call.

Back