You can type here any text you want

hydroboost versus vacuum

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Detomaso71

Is there a difference in power or performance between these two upgrades?
Would hydroboost take away a few HP if it increases strain on the power steering pump?
I want to upgrade brakes to discs front and rear down the road if that makes a difference.
My engine is out for repair so it seems like a good time to tackle this.

It isn't going to rob horsepower. You don't need applied hp when you are braking. :)

Vacuum and hb are both great systems and it just ends up being a matter of personal preference. I prefer the pedal feel of hb, but that's my opinion. Vacuum is an easier installation if you are concerned about that. HB isn't too bad to install, but it is more finicky when it comes to the parts involved. You are always better off getting new parts and not rebuilt and it sometimes ends up being luck if you end up with little to no pump whine.

If money is not an issue get the hydroboost. You will never get the power of the hydroboost out of the vacuum set up. I am going to go vacuum when the car goes back together so I can spend the money on the engine. I might upgrade to hydro down the road. They got so bad azz systems out there but they are not cheap. Then again nothing is cheap on these cars:biggrin:

Hydroboost all the way..If you piece your setup together yourself and follow some of the threads on here to get your info you can do it pretty cheap and they hold like crazy!!!!

Is there a difference in power or performance between these two upgrades?
Would hydroboost take away a few HP if it increases strain on the power steering pump?
I want to upgrade brakes to discs front and rear down the road if that makes a difference.
My engine is out for repair so it seems like a good time to tackle this.

Clay, both Robert (the guy I sent you and Kevin over to at the Nats to discuss tuning for Alchy) and Big Head Chris run hydroboost set upsand I can easily say if I ever decide to move away from a powermaster it will be to a hydroboost set up.

Hope that helps, Kip

I didn't notice any loss in performance. My powersteering pump does whine a little when turning AND braking into my driveway, but it isn't as bad as a regular Ford PS sound. The pedal feel is much tighter and has a shorter travel to apply the brakes.

The best difference is total confidence that the brakes will work when I press the pedal, unlike the powermaster which can simply stop working when you need it (I've sailed right through a stop sign when mine went out with no warning). The hardest part for me was tightening the lines to the pump. My SLIC had to come out.

Pump whine is hit and miss, it seems. The best method is to plumb a separate port on the ps reservoir for the return rather than tee-ing off the existing line.

I drove my PM car, a vacuum car and a hydroboost car before making my decision and I went with hydro because of the pedal feel and perceived clamping power.

I'd say go to four wheel disc first, and then decide on whether you need the hydro-boost. My GN stops with authority, with a high pedal, and I couldn't imagine HB improving my stopping. I installed LS1 12" Camaro discs all the way around. :cool:

Thanks for responses.
I hear some people sell a complete bolt on HB kit but I dont see any advertised.
Anyone have a link to this?
Brakes work good now but I dont want to have the power master factory unit go out at 140+mph and end up in a river somewhere in Ohio someday

Powerbrake-drivetrain has a good kit if you don't mind spending a fair amount. Their website looks like it is circa 1994, but Gm High Tech Performance magazine chose their kit for an article in the mag (I think Aug 2010). For about half that price you can go with cardone reman parts.. The risk you take with the cardone units is that it seems to be the luck of the draw on whether you get a good master and booster out of the box.

I went the cardone route on my car and I haven't had a single problem thus far. The difference in stopping power is very noticeable on an otherwise stock system. I can't imagine what it will be like when I go to larger discs/calipers in the spring.

Back