You can type here any text you want

Hydroboost VS 10" Dual B-Body ???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GNGAL

86 GN T-Top
Which is better? Hydroboost set-up or 10" Dual B-Body (90 Caprice)

Ive read good things on both.

Im putting my old Monte Vac Setup on today.... just until next year, then I want to upgrade

Both will work. I have to admit I am biased towards hydroboost as that's what I put on mine. I am an original owner and the brakes have never worked as good as they do now on my car.

Depends on your fears. Do you fear boost causing no brakes or a broken belt causing no brakes. I've never broken a wide serpentine belt but I do go to boost quite regularly. Your call.

Depends on your fears. Do you fear boost causing no brakes
Boost causing no brakes? I would like to hear more on this as it has Yet to happen to me with my vacuum set up.. And I am on & off the gas like crazy during an autocross event, at the drag strip, and even during the BAER brake speed/stop challenge and NEVER once was there "No brakes cause of boost"! Hell even with the car not running I was able to stop (TurboDaves) Excursion at stop signs while he towed the car (by tow rope) home due to a bad crank sensor... He was even impressed with the vacuum brakes after that... ;)

Please explain this " fear boost causing no brakes".....

Why add all the hydroboost business to our engine bay thats already a cluster"bleep" of wires and hoses anyways.

Boost causing no brakes? I would like to hear more on this as it has Yet to happen to me with my vacuum set up.. And I am on & off the gas like crazy during an autocross event, at the drag strip, and even during the BAER brake speed/stop challenge and NEVER once was there "No brakes cause of boost"! Hell even with the car not running I was able to stop (TurboDaves) Excursion at stop signs while he towed the car (by tow rope) home due to a bad crank sensor... He was even impressed with the vacuum brakes after that... ;)

maybe he doesn't know that the 90 degree fitting where the vacuum hose hooks to the booster is a one way check valve?

Ya, Scot's brakes are pretty impressive at that!!!! I would say it's a combination of the right parts. A good booster is a must!!

But with that said, a good hydroboost system will also get the job done. It's the system that's on my Excursion. Anything that can haul that 8,000# monster down to a fast emergency stop when slammed on is impressive. More complexity though.

It's like any fear wether proven or imaginary. I didn't say boost causes no brakes, I stated do you fear it. Just like a broken belt causing no brakes. I've had a tensioner pulley on two different trucks jettison themselves. Steering and brakes become a problem but they still work.

I stated in the first paragraph, either is a good choice.

My GS has the vac brakes as well as my half ton burb. I understand how they work. My choice was based on my experience with my K2500 burb and pickup and the 84 T-Type I traded on my 87.
It was a bolt on swap. No need for a different or additional vac port. I bought the h-boost, m/c, and the two lines from rock auto, and a brass tee, and length of trans cooler line local and swapped it on. Seemed easier than swapping pedals and such. Sorry to have stirred up such a stink.

Go with vacuum it will serve you well. My GS is 43 years in and it has worked.

My email to Rick at Baer Brakes near my house in Phoenix.
Email to Rick:
"I am ready to do the booster and master cylinder.

Do you prefer hyrdoboost or vacuum?
Reply from Rick:
"All being equal the hydroboost will perform better as it runs higher line pressure... though keep in mind they don't work great with the reverse rotation Saginaw power steering pumps that came on the Buicks (tends to create excessive air and noise).
If you do a vacuum booster the stock booster and master works great.

If you do a vacuum booster the stock booster and master works great."
Vacuum booster should do just fine for me.

Which is better? Hydroboost set-up or 10" Dual B-Body (90 Caprice)

Ive read good things on both.

Im putting my old Monte Vac Setup on today.... just until next year, then I want to upgrade

I currently have vacuum brakes on my cars, And i am going with Hydroboost on both my cars.
I haven't come across much negative stuff on the Hydroboost set ups

Boost causing no brakes?

on my previous car i lost the brakes a LOT, check valve and then added a storage container.

Hydro boost systems were used on the 82-85 cars, but before that were vacuum brakes. On all heavy duty low vacuum vehicles, or ones that were intended for heavy duty braking hydro boost has been used. It's reliable and will throw you through the windsheild if you step on the brakes in a panic. The powermaster was designed as a weight savings and gas mileage consideration and worked good when properly serviced and maintained.

Now what hasn't been said is if the vehicle has been modified to run really fast with a large cam then you won't have the vacuum signal to let vacuum brakes work right. If you've still got a slightly modified engine with a mild cam then vacuum will work fine, but if you've added a big cam and turbo then you'd be better off with hydro boost. Since yours isn't really modified that much you should be fine with vacuum brakes but if you intend to do more and make it a rear beast then you need to consider going with the hydro boost system.;)

Back