Hydroboost

Hydroboost Systems

It's Good To Be Blown. We Prefer The New Unit Because The Spool Valve Is A Precision Tight Fit In Its Bore. 0005" Clearance. If It Doesn't Seal, The Power Is Off. If The Hydroboost Is Maintained With Clean Fluid, It Will Last A L0ng Time. You Don't Know In A Used Or Rebuilt Unit How Perfect The Spool Valve Bore Is. There Is No Way To Hone It, Sleeve It, Or Use Oversize Spools. Most Hydroboosts Are Replaced Around 150,000 Miles, Due To Leaks, But Few Have Had The Fluid Replaced In Those Miles. The H/b Doesn't Wear By It Self, But The Hardened Metal Worn Off Of The Steering Gears Floats Around The System Causing The Wear. 20 Year Old Fluid Turns Into Shellac. Not A Good Lubricant. Just Like A Transmission, It Needs Clean Fluid. Transmissions Also Have Filters. We Have An Inline Filter For The Hydroboost.we Also Use The Larger Power Piston Design. The H/b, Master, Mounting Bracket, In New Is $525.00. Rebuilt Unit, New Master, Would Be $325.00. We Prefer Our Stainless Hoses. They Have A Banjo Swivel End Swedged On One End For A Clean Look. The Hose Set Is $285.00. Warranty On A New Unit Is 1 Year, Reman Is 6 Months

How diffecult is it to install a new H/B kit minus your hose kit?

Whats wrong with using the stock or other hoses over using your hose kit?

Whats wrong with using the stock or other hoses over using your hose kit?
Go up and read Tin Man's write-up. The only "stock" hoses that might be used were from the earlier turbo Regals with hydroboost. GM doesn't have them anymore. You wouldn't want to use them from a junkyard, would you? Other hoses could be modified, or you can make your own. Or, easiest, but not cheapest, you can buy the ones made for your car by PowerBrakeService/Hydraboost.

So what does his H/B kit come with? It sounds like even though you shell out 525.00 on the kit, you still need to shell out another 285.00 on hoses?

Hydroboost Vs Vacuum Vs Powermaster

We Tried To Use The 83 H/b Hoses, But The Pump Outlet Is In A Different Location. The Hose From H/b To Box Would Work, And You Could Use Cheap Rubber Return Hose, But We Still Have To Use Custom Stainless For The Pump To H/b. It Would Save Moola To Just Use One Stainless Hose, But Most Guys Want All 4 Hoses To Match. Your Choice, The Budget Hose Set Would Be $175.00. Once This Sytem Is On, It's "set And Forget It" To Quote Ron Popeil. Use Dexron Iii Fluid To Reduce Pump Noise.

Does that $525 include the hoses? On summit part number PBS-2772-211 includes hoses and it $550 so I assume that is what you ment.

What application was this ment for originally. Like lets say a few years down the road(or in the middle of nowhere) I need to replace the master cylinder what application could I get one for?

Do you have a website?

Does anyone have a diagram of how the plumbing is routed? I need a visual to go with the text description.

Hydroboost Vs Vacuum Vs Powermaster

We Match The Master To The Combo Of Calipers And Wheel Cyls. Our Favorite Master Is The Corvette 1.125' Cyl. It Works Well With 2 Disc Or 4 Disc. It Is Easy And Inexpensive To Rebuild Or Replace. Those Hoses Are A Separate Item, As Some People Want Rubber Type, Some Want All Stainless, And Some Want To Make Their Own. Summit Has It In Their Site Slightly In Error. The Hose Set Would Be Billed Out As A Second Kit From Them, And Is Not Included In Their Selling Price. We Have A Diagram Included In The Kit. The 86-87 Gn's Had A Reverse Rotation P/s Pump, And Do Kind Of Whine. Clean Fresh Dexron Iii Helps Reduce Foam And Whining. An Inline Return Filter Is Recommended Due To The Metallic Sediment In The Bottom Of The Box That May Be Dislodged When The Hoses Are Removed And Air Hits The Pump Vanes. It Lifts That Stuff And Floats It Into The System. The Cleaner The Better.

ahh I see how the description says "can accept ........"

What year corvette master cylinder?
Do you have a list of master cylinder options and piston diameter?

Summit Has It In Their Site Slightly In Error. The Hose Set Would Be Billed Out As A Second Kit From Them, And Is Not Included In Their Selling Price
Ah, so the $550 Hydroboost setup I ordered from Summit will be useless when it arrives! That's good to know. Wish I had known before I placed the order. As I understand the pricing now, anyone who wants to purchase a "complete" setup is looking at shelling out over $800, to avoid buying a $300 dollar rebuilt Powermaster, or a $300 vacuum conversion.

Thats what I'm saying :eek:

I like the Hydroboost idea but either way you look at it, the system seems like 800.00 bux :confused: Heck, Gbody.com sells a new vaccum kit using new parts for 350.00 bux. Thats like 500.00 bux less than a Hydro set up using new parts. Let us know how it goes on your system install if you would? I can see 500.00 bux but anything over that is too pricy for me.

I canceled the order from Summit, and reordered, from HydraTech. The summit price, including hoses, was higher than Hydratech, and besides, the booster was on back-order. I agree, it's too high, like many things Buick related. For those who have the time and the abilities, going the do-it-yourself rout, like Tim Man, seems much better. Some info on which units to get from the "used parts" bin would be a good reference.

Yeah if someone can make a guide/list on how to do this setup that would be helpful. I know nothing about hydraboost but I do know about hydraulics spool valves ect.

With that info we could buy summit number PBS-2773-211 which will get you a brand new booster and the custom bracket $445.95 (and probably cheaper if we get it directly from PowerBrakeBob) Then add your own master, and make yourown lines.

I only got one time at the dragstrip with vacuum so far. But the day before I blewout one of the seals in the master cylinder so the brakes didn't hold verymuch anyways. I fixed it now but I'll have to wait untill spring to try it out again. If I'm not able to hold boost like I was with the powermaster I will be looking into this hydraboost setup more.

Is there any need to upgrade the PS pump? And is their any options for upgrading it? "The 86-87 Gn's Had A Reverse Rotation P/s Pump, And Do Kind Of Whine." Is that because of the serpentine setup? Kinda like how there are reverse water pumps? If that is the case did they reverse the impeller or vain (I don't know what kinda pump p/s pumps are) orientation to match the rotation?

The stock PS pump should work. As a side note, there are two different sources for the "kits" to use the hydroboost units. One is "Power Brake Service" which is Power Brake Bob's company. His stuff is sold by Summit. The other company is "Hydratech", and I don't think they have any vendors- you buy direct from them over the internet or on the phone. Prices are similar from both vendors.

Hydratech seems more, does anyone have a break down for a kit?

I mean I was looking at their site and It's like 650.00 plus 89.00 for a M/C. Does that mean they include the braided lines as well? So far it looks like 739.00 bux if the lines are included.

Bob's set up runs like 810.00 plus shipping.

The Hydratech "kit" is about "$800, including shipping, to NC. Hydratech is in Mich, so you can figure more or less shipping, depending on where you are. That is the price including a new mastercylinder (from a Camaro, I think) and the hoses and bracket. I think you may get a little cheaper setup from Power Brake Services if you don't get the stainless steel braided hose.

Ok what master cylinders bolt up to a hydroboost booster. Does it accept the same that would bolt up to a vacuum booster?

I guess I'm not getting something here....

You can get a reman. powermaster unit for $350 with lifetime warranty. With my bypass valve on the pm unit I can hold as much boost as I dare. I've even been told I would bend the backing plates in the rear brakes if I'm not carefull....I would imagine the hydraboost option would create the same issue.... so... I guess my question is .. whats the point of spending $800 on this kit if you don't need it?? Is it that much better or is this just a trend starting...? :confused:

turbot2496, for me I did not want to deal with the powermaster system. It is no longer produced, parts are expensive, and seems downright scarry in the event of failure. I don't pull enough vacuum (as a lot of TRs) to run vacuum brakes effectively. The hydroboost is being produced on several new vehicles, is easily adaptable to our applications, the unit itself is not that expensive, and has a reserve in the event of failure. The psi produced is almost double that of vacuum.