I can't get filled up!

TheDoughboy

Stupid factory gas gauge! When it says Empty I can only get about 13 gallons in it. It will say Full then. But with a 18 gallon tank where is my 5 gallons?? I have tried to fill it with the nozzle in different positions. Any ideas?

TIA,

Ron

Your 5 gallons is sitting in the bottom of the tank.

Just means you've got a decent amount of reserve because the gauge calibration is funky.

Next time you get low on fuel, put a small gas container in your trunk as a safety and keep on truckin'. :p

See how much farther you can drive and how much fuel it takes when you run out. :D

I don't know a Turbo Buick owner that has an accurate gas gauge. New sending units are expensive. Just be happy you are on the plus side, when I bought my car it would run out of gas at 4 gallons (digital dash). Every time I've had to drop the tank for something it changes.

Every Car I've owned (Yes, everyone of them a GM)
'75 Riviera, '87 Iroc, '87 Fiero GT, '87 Trans Am, had a "funky" gas gauge. Would move all over the place taking off or stoping, or turning, and never accurate. I think it's the norm for a GM fuel gauge to be that way.

Take the sending unit out and bend the float arm. It's trial and error.

Thanks for the advice

When I drop the tank to install my Walbro 340, I will be tinkering with the arm and checking the ohms.

Thanks for the replys:)

Ron