You can type here any text you want

I HATE IDIOTS!!!!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

charlief1

RIP Charlie!
Bought a US M1 Garand rifle several years ago that was supposed to be set up as a match gun. It's been sitting since I test fired it and I really haven't done anything with it since I bought it. Well I took apart today and I can't believe what some believe a match rifle is.:mad: The carbon was rediculas and someone used JBweld to secure several of the wooden and metal parts to the barrel. The barrel was at least stainless and it has an NM rear sight but WTF? None of the wood was clearenced or properly beded. I had to use a hamer to remove more than 1 of the parts that held everything together. It's clean now and I'll see how she shoots and probibly bed it out right but for what I paid for it things should've been done right the first time.:(

Wow, sounds like one of my purchases LOL!

On those guns, especially purpose built match guns, several parts at he front of the stock, handguard and the front band with the swivel are purpously JB (or something) welded together. Same applies to the tight fit of parts. Not sure what you had to hammer apart though. The receiver should have been totally glass bedded into the stock and that makes things very hard to take apart. NOT a good idea to take it apart all that much. I shot a National Match M1 built by the Army in 1963 then had an M1A built by a marine corp armorer in Camp Lejeune, NC. It was a double lugged Smith receiver that was bedded into a McMillan stock and was almost impossible to get apart. Got caught shooting in a bad rain storm at the Nationals in Camp Perry and had to take it all apart to dry it out. What a chore. Sounds like a good gun - hope it shoots great. Get an M1A in 308 - you'll like it even more.

I agree that the parts should fit tight but they even stuck lock tite on the gas plug.:mad:The gas tube should be tight but the very front wood that the gas escapes out of shouldn't be glued to the barrel.:confused: The op rod had been hitting the chamber of the barrel so I had to clearance the barel with a little filing so the rid woudn't get damaged. I'm going to take all the "beding" in the stock out and re do it for a better fit. It almost looks like it was a beginer doing it. Who ever it was never did a match rifle before but had someone do the barrel and then went after it. They didn't even try to bed the trigger guard which has to be done as well.

When I was buying one I wanted that was not all beat up either. Must of looked at hundreds at gun shows. I came a crossed one of the 10,000 Springfield assembled several years back. It was tough to cough up the 995 dollars for a M1 but I have never regretted it. Looks great, perfect in every way and shoots like a dream…..even my wife loves shooting it.

Attachments

• Picture 163.jpg
    Picture 163.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 65
  • Picture 164.jpg
    Picture 164.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 67
We really need to teach you how to resize pics a little.:p LOL Looks like yours is still 30-06. Mines a 7.62 X 51 Nato now and it shoots pretty decent. Haven't really tried to put it on paper so far but even with my crapy eyes I can hit a 1 liter coke bottle at 100 yards with it.:D It's got all the right NM parts and I only paid $500 for it.;)

hmm crappy eyes, are you sure that wasnt a 100 liter coke bottle at 1 yard. jk Charlie your sunroof book is goin in mail tommorow.
dale

Thanks Dale.;) If they made a 100 liter bottle of diet coke I'd be buying it to save some $. I drink a ton of it and really need to cut back on it.:oops:

not a prob, on a side note i bout a couple stripped lowers yesterday, gonna build me a lefty 556 and a 308 for my son. found a guy here local that ordered my stag lefty upper and gave me a good deal, i'll post pics when its done.

Thanks Dale.;) If they made a 100 liter bottle of diet coke I'd be buying it to save some $. I drink a ton of it and really need to cut back on it.:oops:

Oh man, I feel for you. Please do yourself a favor and read up about Aspartame.

http://www.wnho.net/fdaapprovedepidemic.htm

http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/hidden_dangers.htm

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...e-most-dangerous-substance-added-to-food.aspx

Everyone who drinks diet drinks containing aspartame, or foods containing aspartame, should read the above article immediately. I implore you all as it could very well save your life. Especially the part in the article about Methanol which is 3/4 the way down the page. IE: 10% of aspartame is methanol. Methanol/wood alcohol is a deadly poison. Please everyone, stop drinking diet sodas that contain aspartame. I thank the Good Lord each day that I never got addicted to any diet drinks.
Off my soap box now.

Patrick

Thanks for posting that RUQWKNF! I was afraid Charlie might think I was offa my rocker and not bother looking into the DT's he's gonna suffer by taking you seriously as soon as he tries to become healthy by dropping a habit that's clearly more dangerous than smoking.

Seriously Charlie, we like you and want to continue hearing your thoughts. Drop that nasty habit and try some vitamins washed down with filtered water! That stuff will kill you deader than a toe droppin the hammer on that M1.

My galfriend spent a week in the hospital several years ago and they never did figure out what it was but she stopped drinking or eating anything with that in it and all problems went away. When left in the heat (like cases of diet soda for our troops, it turns into formaldehide. But no one will let the public know how dangerous that stuff really is - you have to look for it yourself.

Back