You can type here any text you want

I have a chance to buy a 1980 3.8 turbo riviera

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

stinkinlinkin

I have a chance to buy a 1980 3.8 turbo and trans for $200 from a 1980 riviera.

Apparently it ran good, but was pulled because the guy wanted to toss it into another project.

I want to put this into a RWD application (have no idea what yet though)

Can this block be converted to RWD, is it worth building up?

I dont know the engine code for this block, but I researched it and found there was 2 blocks available for this year.

1) 25506818 2) 25506485

Will both blocks bolt up to a GM RWD application?

Thanx Guys,

Corey
:D

maybe, maybe not.

if you could get the whole car for $200, or even $800 go for it. personally i wouldn't touch one of those carberated motors. maybe as a driver it would be ok, but if you are thinking fast car, forget it. i want to say they were rated at 125-160 hp, they aren't all that fast. you'd be FAR better off finding a good 86-87 motor and tranny. even an 84-85 isn't all that bad, they just don't have intercoolers and don't perform quite as well. your looking at about $2,000 for the whole thing. i've seen them as low as $800 at a swap meet. if you try to make that riv. motor run good, and make a tranny work for it, you'll be well over that $2,000 mark.
a good small block chevy would be a much better bet. you can pick one of those up for $50 all day long if you look in the right places.

BUT if you want something totally unique then you've found what your looking for.

Sorry I should clarify.

For 200 bux I get the just the turbo engine and tranny.

Since the setup is FWD, I wish to convert it to RWD and toss it into '87 Olds or something.

Can this engine be converted to RWD?

Is there any major mods required in converting to a RWD setup?

Thanx,

Corey

GO FOR IT the thing has the turbo crank (unless it's been gotten in a rebuild) so at the very least it's a bit valuable, and it'll probably have the pistons. Far as it goes, it should be just the standard BOP bellhousing, so a 200R4 or a 350 will bolt up to it. My 85 T-rivi motor was anyways. Then again, you could take the thing and drop it into a cavelier ala ferio and that'd be really freaky.

Excellent, so the 1980 block will bolt up eh.

The cav. idea is neat.

Gotta love it, the mind's the limitation.

So what are the differences between the two blocks offered in 1980?

I googled it and the specs seem identical :confused:

Okay, now I am officially confused.

I went to another turbo GM site and got to chatting with a guy.

He said that the 818 block will go RWD but the other won't !

But I can't find any info to confirm or refute this.

I need some experience here.

I am totally new to the turbo 3.8, and a little naive. (okay, a lot)

Corey :confused:

Your Riv block has the normal BOP bolt pattern so any BOP trans will bolt on. To use this in a RWD apllication you will need to change the flywheel. The Riv starter bolts to the trans and not the block, hence a different starter/flywheel. The turbo set up is not very RWD friendly. The Riv turbo mounts on the back of the engine.The RWD Regal turbo mounts on top of the engine. To use the Riv turbo effectively means you have to mount the engine to far foward to make it fit. Imagine the crank balancer hitting the radiator and you get the idea. Probally the best idea would be to sell the parts, the turbo crank can be worth more than twice the $200 you paid and buy a turbo motor from a RWD application.

That is exactly what I want to hear block wise.

I think I will sell the trans, and turbo mounts.

Can I use the stock riv.turbo and use the turbo mount from a RWD,or is it best to start from scratch?

I realize I am asking alot of questions, but I am eager to learn and willing to listen. :D

Corey

Originally posted by denn454
i want to say they were rated at 125-160 hp, they aren't all that fast.

The 1980 Riviera was rated at 185 hp. And anybody that knows anything about these motors would also point out that they respond very well to modifications. That 185 hp is at 9 psi of boost. With simple mods you would be able to run 15 psi or more. :)

Bought the engine today, was even better then I hoped.

The engine was rebuilt 1000km ago, and the trans looks excellent too.

Too bad I plan on going RWD.

The intake and Turbo look practically brand new!

Sweet deal for 200 bux ;)

.........personally i wouldn't touch one of those carberated motors. maybe as a driver it would be ok, but if you are thinking fast car, forget it.

Classic myth...

.........you'd be FAR better off finding a good 86-87 motor and tranny. even an 84-85 isn't all that bad, they just don't have intercoolers and don't perform quite as well.

This guy's from the other board perhaps. Does'nt know much about these cars only that his is probably fast, and others are'nt.:D

.........BUT if you want something totally unique then you've found what your looking for.

Finally....something that I would agree with. :rolleyes:

Back