I keep hearing about "wide band"

What are your goals? Don't but something just because you're "hearing about it". :p You can get a street car into decent tune without a wideband sensor. If you are going to the track, or want to be a numbers queen on the dyno, you can use the wideband to really observe the tune. For most people, watching the voltage of the normal O2 sensor is enough to monitor the car.

I want to be able to get the car dialed in to eliminate knock. Not really buying into it, but rather asking. Seems the Scanmaster does do the same thing, but really slow.

Would the wide band help to turn for optimum fuel/air? Or could I stick with a traditional air/fuel ratio meter?

Yeah that was one thing I wanted to do, was verify that the air and fuel were dead on at all times. Not too much of one and not enough of the other.

I do have a Scanmaster I can use for reference but I have heard they read slow.

You can monitor the A/F mixture using the stock O2 sensor, but it's not really accurate. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a wideband or a Scanmaster (I just have Turbo-Link), I'm just telling you what I've read on the boards and researched for myself. I think, as Blackmetal said, they're mainly for hardcore racers or someone looking to get the most at the track.

I am curious, what kind of sensor does a typical air/fuel gauge use? Is it an O2 sensor? Or do they usually come with their own sensors?

Also it sort of looks to me like the wide band is nothing more than an advanced air/fuel gauge?

I am curious, what kind of sensor does a typical air/fuel gauge use? Is it an O2 sensor? Or do they usually come with their own sensors?

Also it sort of looks to me like the wide band is nothing more than an advanced air/fuel gauge?

thats exactly what it is. a normal o2 sensor only sends out 2 voltages, I believe. all it knows it stoich and not basically. it does not know how much. I believe thats all a regular AF meter will show also, the light going back and forth is basically just to let you know rich, lean or stoich, but its not an indication of how much I dont think. a wideband is capable of sending out more voltages and therfore can actually tell you what the actual AF ratio is, not just lean, rich, or stoich. it can actually give accurate numbers, which are very helpful with tuning.

Scott was running a wide band 02 sensor on his gn, The downpipe you purchased has the bung in it. :smile:

That 350.00 gauge would be nice if it recorded/ datalogged the air fuel during a pass.
Usually people run a LM1 OR LC1 innovate wide band so you can record the air fuel and know when and where how rich or lean the car is going down the track.
Innovate Motorsports Wideband Air/Fuel Ratio Tuning

Hopefully if you use the search feature and use innovate, alot of threads will come up with everyone using them.
I do believe when using the powerlogger, that you can input that info to be recorded, and also have the a/f numbers come up on your scan master (cheaper than running that 350.00 gauge)

TurboTweak Home

http://www.turbotweak.com/turbotweak60docs.pdf

HTH
BW