You can type here any text you want

I need help with an 86 3.8 in a riviera please

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbotruck1989

I work at a gm dealership and i have a riviera with a 3.8 and cant get any spark. it came in with a chewed up gear and timing chain. put it back togather and no spark. replaced crank sensor, cam sensor and ignition module. what now? I need help please reply.....my email is colbybenites@yahoo.com if u cant reply back on here.

First things first.

Is this the 3800 series FWD or the RWD 3.8? CDI or does it have a HEI?

Also you should be able to look up GM materials about diagnosis procedures if this is a GM garage.

it is a 3.8 front wheel drive and i do the schematics and it only takes me to the same place which is ignition module. ive replaced it four times now even went to oem parts still no bueno...

As I recall, the 1986-88 V6's used in the front wheel drive (vins 3/B/E) used the center bolt valve cover heads.
In 1986 Buick removed the distributor and integrated CCCI.
These engines used a magnet on the camshaft gear held by one of the two mounting bolts, if left off you would have no cam signal required for startup.
Also, these engines were notorious for the pressure relief valve sticking in the timing cover, so double check this.
I've also seen these engines suffer valve damage when cam teeth strip and come out of time, bends them ever so slightly to cause a rough idle once refired.
Good luck,

Kevin.

As Kevin already pointed out,if the wrong cam gear was put on ,there will be no signal from the sensor.

Back