i need my scanmaster to be a mobile unit- who can make this?

Quick6'n'-K.C.

wana steal it? meet mr9mm
Staff member
i have a scanmaster, and i want to be able to use the darned thing for 3 cars--- instead of getting under the dash hooking up the wires all the time, i was wondering if someone could make/ or does make this-

a plug in harness just like turbo link has--

i would like to just plug right into the aldl connector and read what the scanmaster has to read-

thanks for any info
bryan

It shouldn't be too hard to do yourself. There are just 3 wires if I remember correctly.....12V power / ground / ALDL wire.

You can use a cigarette lighter adapter from Radio Shack for the power and ground. I've seen some thin (1/8" wide) spade connectors before....probably found at Radio Shack also. Just crimp on the thin spade connector to the SM wire and plug it into the ALDL port. You'll just have to be careful to get the right hole?!?!

Casper's may sell a full plug for the ALDL port, but you will really only connect to one wire.

HTH,
John

steve, john

i have used the cig lighter cable in the past, and the scanmaster didnt light up near as much if i plugged it straight to a 12v source

i was really wanting something where i could just plug right in to the aldl and not have to worry about other cables-

thanks for the idea, but i have my mind set on the aldl plug connector
thanks
bryan

I have a long pigtail with the 3 wires connected to the back side of the aldl and just keep the plug under the ashtray when I don't have the SM plugged into it. It does require you to create a pig tail for each car though with this method..:(

ks

lol
yeah-- ive done that too-- but i dont like the extra wires there when the scantool isnt in place
thanks

Bryan, I like that idea. I made mine portable from instructions I believe Mosher posted somewhere. Otherwise I would have never thought of it, and I really like it except for the wires hanging over the center console.

Maybe if what we need is the female adapter to go over the ADL which you said TurboLink had, Mosher could point us to a source for these. I'm very interested in your idea.

yeah-- thats the word female adapter that goes over the existing aldl port

wonder if he could help us out getting some??
im sure others would be interested as well--
i love these cars, i just hate swapping scantool from car to car--
thanks for the words of advise
bryan

I'll let you contact him with YOUR idea. Let me know. I am sure there is a source for these somwhere, and Ken would point us in the right direction.

If I understand what you are saying, then the ADL connector would need 12V power and ground too, does it have that?

Female 4 pin in line microphone connector from radio shack. Get power from the ign. spot in the fuse box get a plug in connector from the junkyard options plug in there on GM cars. Get ground from a screw near the ALDL port. Tap the wire for the ALDL signal and solder, crimpy connector, or plug in tab connector whatever you want to do.

Female connector stays in the car in or behind the console compartment under the radio.

Solder the scanmaster wires to the male connector and it is now plug and play.

Just have to duplicate the female end in your other cars.

I have a buddy that did the cigarette lighter thing and it works perfectly. He gets to beat up on all the local GNs so that they can use his "portable scanmaster". "Oh, you want to see if your car is dialed in? Give me the keys and we'll go for a ride!" :D

Thanks salvage, I needed that! I will get that 4 pin connector. That setup will eliminate the wires for the power cord from hanging over the center console :) .

alrighty then-- i just went out to the car and did some tinkering-
there is a positive source just to the right of the port where you tap for input to the scantool-- and the ground is the far right upper=

the only problem with using the slip over connector, is you couldnt set the wot tps value-- cause the + source in the aldl only works when the car is running-

hmmmm i still like the plug it right in and go idea--
cant have it all i guess

thanks for the tips guys

274-001

274-002

Radio Shack part numbers for the inline jack and socket.

Remember you need a socket prewired to power and the ALDL in each car. Buy extras. :)

salvage--
i will give that a try in the morning--
you wouldnt happen to have the store hours for radio shack too ;) :p

thanks

Quick6'n'KC,
To answer your question, yes it can be done and has been. Working for a connector company has its advantage :). I built an SLA (rubber molded adapter) that is a quickfit to our ALDL. I used 3 terminals (2.8mm width) and inserted into the quickfit adapter. The blades are removable and the connector is serviceable if your scanmaster should take a crap. However I brought this up to my management, to build the mold, and the capacities are not there for any profit to be made. Only thing I can do is make SLA for everyone but it is costly to do so. Wish Mike 'at Ramchargers' would chime in here cause I cannot promote this myself..

Mike Banas
87GN