You can type here any text you want

I need some advice about 2 cars?....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

EVADER

Im looking at 2 87 turbo Buicks now (as in today). 1 is a GN hard top, Runs,Drives A/C does not work, Paint looks like a fair Maco job (15 footer), Leaks a quarter sized oil spot after driving, Small rust bubble behind fender, Interior is fair, Non origional wheels (and not good aftermarket ones)... It will need exahust repair (held in by coathangers), Body seems straight, but just rough around the edges, Plus temp gage reads 220+ when driving it. (He said it was normal!!) Looks like a little (Newer) larger Garrett turbo+ Boost comes in a little slugish but peggs the stock digital boost gauge and keeps boosting up. Trans shifts pretty hard (Catches 2nd all the time). Car just looks a little rough, (But fixable)

2nd car is a Black T, 87, hard top. Origional paint (faded), Needs Compressor, Interior is 7-8/10. Stock type turbo, nice wheels. Body straight, No rust at all.

The GN claims to be less than 80K miles (Im not so sure about that!)
The T has 160k With a newer engine and trans. Car seems to be taken care of.

Both want 8K for the cars........ What do you guys think?? Too much?? Hold out for a better car? Which one would you choose? Comments/Suggestions
Im really looking for a good weekend driver to play with. Im too old for street racing (39).
Thanks

car # 2 for sure ! just make sure its had a timimg chain replaced, If not make that the first thing you do... Like before you even get tags for it.

Buick

If you have to ask - it's not the car your looking for. I say your car is still out there.

2nd Car, but it also depends on how much $$ you have to spend. Maybe get something a little better for a little more $$

Thanks Guys!. I think the 2nd one was the best choice too. Its just the 1st is a real GN.. (It may be worth a little more in the future?..) Thanks for the opinions.

GN's are more popular and maybe bring a few extra bucks...

Might want to steer clear of a "project" if you've never been around these cars before.

In your scenario the T is the better buy (how bad is the faded paint? Is it able to be saved? The GN sounds too rough for $8k.

However, as was mentioned earlier, you may want to reconsider and just keep looking for something a little more expensive but in a little better condition.

Some things to consider and plan for:

Lower miles doesn't always = good.

Good paint... (Bear in mind a decent paint job runs around $4-5k at a minimum) There's also body work to contend with...

Transmissions run an average of $1500 and up for rebuild

Engine: average around $5k for rebuild...

The list goes on and on- You should probably save your money and start looking in the $13k range. There's some that are cheaper and some that are more expensive but you'll probably find a nicer car in that range because I guarantee you that the $8k cars you were looking at will easily take $5k out of your wallet and then some if you're going to get the car back to 100%.

I only mention the $13k range because I'm sure there are multiple cars - T's and GN's in that range that are basically ready to go- ie: just get in and drive and enjoy...

If you go too cheap, you'll spend lots of time wrenching, or paying someone to do so for you and you'll hate the car because it spends more time down than on the road-That is unless you're a glutton for punishment like some of us here...:cool:

BTW FWIW I prefer the Ttypes to GN's - It's nice to be different.

OK!!! I bought the second one (T-Type!!)

Here is a pic of her!

Attachments

• 3n53k33m05V55P55X1a46b6c987126ed418ae.jpg
    3n53k33m05V55P55X1a46b6c987126ed418ae.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 148
  • 3n93k23ld5Q45W25X6a466b3dcdc3d12f1d80.jpg
    3n93k23ld5Q45W25X6a466b3dcdc3d12f1d80.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 149
Back