You can type here any text you want

idle oil pressure

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Crazyx4

what should the oil pressure be at cold start up and at warmed up idle?

I have 70psi cold, 22psi hot, 10W40 Mobil 1. Before the engine was built 4 or 5 years ago I was under 10psi at hot idle.
Mike

Mine is off past 90 cold start and around 25 hot :eek:...I personally feel this is a little high for 5w30...

-Dan

I've wondered about that recently - the 87 T pegs the VDO gauge at start up, ~20PSI very hot.

i was hoping that would be the psi's. new build and it is almost 100psi cold and about 20psi hot 5w-30 mobil. i was thinking after the engine has a few hundred miles on it, i may go to a syn. 0w or 0w-20 mobil. would that help the idle psi?

Buick specs are like 10 psi for every 1000rpm. I have had ones with like 12-15 at hot idle and the ran fine for years. One car I work on now is like that. Never been open and he gives it hell. No issues and the valve train is quiet!

thanks for help everyone. i'm going put a few more miles on the engine today.

It has allot to do with the engine builder and what it was built for. A motor built for race tends to have lower idle oil pressure due to added tolerances. They loosen it up to allow for more oil between surfaces.

As long as oil pressure responds quickly to rpm, it's all good.

From here tune your oil pressure with different viscosity oil. Also make sure and use premium filters.

HTH

RL

Cold start in Phoenix is about 40 degrees while in the midwest and east it could be -20 degrees. The big determinent is the rise in pressure with the rpm as at idle there is almost no load on the engine.

Back