You can type here any text you want

Ignition switch issue

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mr84ss

Whats up fam. Ok i just changed my front pads and i turned the steering wheel all the way to the left and right and turned ignition off each time. Now im trying to crank the car and the ignition switch wont go all the way forward . seems like it stuck or something. I been turning the steering wheel back and forward while turning key, i made sure its all the way in park and played with the tilt while turning key and it still feels like its jammed/stuck on something. Whats next to check and or replace?

Grab the collar where the column meets the dash and turn it a little more than the shifter will.

It might be time to adjust the metal rod next to the firewall or your shifter cable is about to break.

Thanks for quick reply. I just replaced cable not to long ago. How do you adjust that rod?

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

First, verify that it needs to be adjusted. If the collar is off, then there's a bolt you loosen where the firewall meets the floorpan. It's right at the pivot point where the rod goes back to the transmission linkage.

I'll check it tomorrow. What would cause it to get out of adjustment from changing front brakes

Jack up car, crawl under the car, loosen the bolt in the picture, get in car, turn the collar on the column counter clock wise till it stops., make sure shifter is completely forward, crawl under the car, make sure the transmission is all the way in park, tighten the bolt back. If your bushings are bad, this can cause and issue as well. They are very cheap and easy to replace. The bushing part you need is GM part is 1377083 Or dorman 74030. Yes I know the pic is NOT a TB but the link is the same.
link.JPG

So you can't turn the key far enough to crank the motor? Drop the steering column (2 bolts only) and you will see an 8"metal rod going into the plastic switch mechanism. Make sure it's engaging correctly.

Sorry if this a crazy question but what am i looking or listening for?

See if the rod is causing the plastic switch to slide as far as possible. Hard to explain but not hard to understand when you are looking at the moving parts.

I went and bought a new one. It was only $15, so i rather start off fresh. Any tips on changing one?

I just replaced mine. Prepare to get your hands scratched to hell, fingers cramped from stubborn fasteners, microscopic fasteners and little to no room to perform this job. Other than that it's great fun. :confused:

Closely observe where the rod is attached to the switch so you can install the new switch correctly. One of those screws is a real pita to get to.

Replace ignition switch, loads of fun. those screws are no fun to install. I did see better voltages when I probed before and after on all the wires in/out of the switch. If I had to do it again, I'd wire up a racecar ignition toggle switch and remove the factory junk.

Replace ignition switch, loads of fun. those screws are no fun to install. I did see better voltages when I probed before and after on all the wires in/out of the switch. If I had to do it again, I'd wire up a racecar ignition toggle switch and remove the factory junk.
That would be cool. Somebody should sell a plug and play switch for our cars.

Ok i just installed the new switch. Still the same symptom. if i turn the key all the way to the starting position the dash lights come on but no more room for key to travel to crank the car. If i take the bolts out of the ignition switch and pull it down towards the firewall/floor, it will engage the starter. I dont see nowhere else to put the switch. Whats next to do?

Only thing I can think of is did you insert the rod in the correct slot in the switch?

Like it was mentioned before, is the column adjusted correctly? These cars have a mechanical starter interrupt. If the column collar thinks that the transmission is in reverse it blocks the key/tumbler from turning to start position. Try turning the collar counterclockwise and turn key at the same time. Or, put it in reverse and neutral and see if it turns all the way.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Fwiw my key wouldn't come out unless I turned the column counter clockwise. I adjusted that linkage under the driver's floor and now it works fine. Just thought that might help someone in the future.

Thanks youll for the great info. Ill go out and try it when i get home

Back