You can type here any text you want

Illinios emissions

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

stugots

Well i got the notice in the mail today.Just this winter i changed the cam ,ported the heads,put a THD downpipe on , put a GT3561s turbo on,New hooker exaust with no catalytic converter,put the 3" big mouth air system on.Any one take a test in illinios,what do i need to do.I just bought the car 4 months ago , i didnt expect this already.I dont even have the car tweaked yet with the performance parts i put on. :confused: :confused:

Not sure of laws in your state,but if visual is part of inspection put cat and other items back on.Stock chip or emission chip from Eric.Turn FP down and cross your fingers.Some states offer exemption if mileage is below 5000 miles a yr.

stugots said:
Well i got the notice in the mail today.Just this winter i changed the cam ,ported the heads,put a THD downpipe on , put a GT3561s turbo on,New hooker exaust with no catalytic converter,put the 3" big mouth air system on.Any one take a test in illinios,what do i need to do.I just bought the car 4 months ago , i didnt expect this already.I dont even have the car tweaked yet with the performance parts i put on. :confused: :confused:

With a cat and emissions-chip you should pass with flying colors. Some guys still pass with just the chip and a hollow cat, but it depends on the car.

I've also heard that changing your oil right before you go helps too.

Pete

With the new cam and heads, i dont even have 25 miles on the car,im told they rev the crap out of the motor.Thats all i need for some guy to run it up to 6000 rpm's.The car has 50lb injectors on it.Also i have the postons ultra chip which has a stock setting,i dont know if it works for emissions.The car came with 3 chips and one has a smiley face on it , could that be the stock chip?

how often do you drive your car, how many miles a year? in illinois there is no visual inspection, so you could pass without a cat if it is tuned well. if you take it in as it sits and it doesnt pass, there is a cool loophole. you can apply for an exemption on the grounds that it is a "race car" all you have to do is say its a race car, send in the form and a picture of it at the track or something, and you are exempt. they assume that you cant get a race car insured, so they dont make you explicitly say you wont drive it on the street. but you can still have it insured and you can still have current plates on it. i know a few people who have done it this way. its just easier, no need to bring it in to get it tested. i have attached the form that you have to send in, check it out and see what it involves.

Attachments

No visual is a plus for you,not sure about race car form if you happen to get pulled over for traffic violation or accident.You can almost bet insuranceco. would hang you out to dry.Tune the car try the test.It will go thru if weened down.

The car has only 51,000 miles on it.Thats only 2700 miles a year.I wont even put 1500 on it a year.

Throw a temporary cat on that thing and you'll be fine. I have heads, roller cam, turbo, exhaust etc etc...and the car passes with flying colors even with a lazy O2 sensor and a bit of leaded gas in the tank.

They do not rev the engine too high. Your biggest problem will probably be the retard performing the test might open the car door and bang it into the padded concrete pylons on either side of the dyno.

Your chip with the smiley face on it is probably a Bob Bailey or Full Throttle chip.

I just took my dads minivan thru---

They simulate driving conditions on the highway 55 mph,so unless ur runnin a 4.88 gear the motor will not be beat up by the operators. I would think that u should put a few hundred miles on the motor before u take it thru anyway. U have forever and a day before they suspend the plates. I just got my paper in the mail for my regal but they wont see the car for a while.

good idea about having car up to temp be4 test.Some have added additives to tank to help get thru test.

I too live in the Land of Lincoln. I have classic car insurance and I don't have to take the emissions test. Call Rally or one of the others. Ask for Ellen and get the poop directly from her. She knows her stuff.
http://www.rallyinsurance.com/

I bet you'll need a cat to pass the sniffer. Make sure it gets warmed up - the hotter the better.

Oil change will help. Ethanol is supposed to help by leaning out the A/F and that's probably what the emissions additives are. Chicagoland gasoline has 10% already. You could add another 10% by dumping in a gallon or so of E85 from Gas City.

Disabling the EGR should help also. IL does not fail for NOx.

I agree. Put a cat on and you should be all good. Also might want to get temp up too.

" i hat illiniose nazis" blue brothers great movie

stugots said:

I have a emission chip I can let you use. I live in Mokena area.

I have almost the same set up and I just recently passed inspection with this chip. They did not even get the into higher rpm and speed. I sat in the pass. seat and in less then a minuite the brother said, PASS.

No visual of cat either.

Rick

Back