dyno tune Tuesday....what to expect?

Passenger side head is now good for nothing but a conversation piece, as it has a good 3/8"-1/2" hole cut through it on cylinder #6..

had that on murphsters head when he tried to push a single pump too far, could stick my pinky in and touch the valve with the head still on the motor ..had it repaired , replaced the warped wiseco piston and he's still going strong

had that on murphsters head when he tried to push a single pump too far, could stick my pinky in and touch the valve with the head still on the motor ..had it repaired , replaced the warped wiseco piston and he's still going strong

Is Murphster still running my short-block? I remember when he needed a single piston a few years back...

K.

Both the heads on my blue car have been severely damaged by a tuner on another car. They had zero road miles on them when he murdered them on the dyno when he had reversed the increase and decrease on an external wastegate. I bought them cheap and ball milled all the trails out (4 cylinders had burned through into the crankcase) and had a competent welder weld them up. Then re-surfaced them and re-cut all the seats. It's been about 5 years and solid 9 sec power for the last year and half with no problems.

Is Murphster still running my short-block? I remember when he needed a single piston a few years back...

K.
yes , but not just shortblock , its as it came out of box when we picked it up in ohio except the turbo is now a 71hpqbb , ignition is a tr6, a champion alternator only bracket , a dusty ptc converter , no gaskets on the headers , that #1 piston replaced , head repaired , new cometics .. and springs setup by bison
after a spring broke (#5 exh in 2 places) i went to swap in another and discovered that the springs (probably what was sent with heads ) were for a roller but wrong for the billet cam specs he told me the motor had so pulled heads and had bison redo the springs and seals , heads are still unported ,

Last edited:
yes , but not just shortblock , its as it came out of box when we picked it up in ohio except the turbo is now a 71hpqbb , ignition is a tr6, a champion alternator only bracket , a dusty ptc converter , no gaskets on the headers , that #1 piston replaced , head repaired , new cometics .. and springs setup by bison
after a spring broke (#5 exh in 2 places) i went to swap in another and discovered that the springs (probably what was sent with heads ) were for a roller but wrong for the billet cam specs he told me the motor had so pulled heads and had bison redo the springs and seals , heads are still unported ,

Nice, that engine has been together for quite some time now!! I originally built that short-block for my TSS car, but never finished it in time... I built the short-block and installed the camshaft, the person I sold it to handled the rest.

K.

Repairable, yes... But they've been repaired in the same area previous already. We'll have to think it over!

K.

Attachments

• IMG_1921.jpg
    IMG_1921.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_8780.jpg
    IMG_8780.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_8057.jpg
    IMG_8057.jpg
    526.7 KB · Views: 203
have to ask... are we concluding that this situation is due to a not perfect gasket seal surface at a repaired spot ?

have to ask... are we concluding that this situation is due to a not perfect gasket seal surface at a repaired spot ?
Absolutely no conclusions yet, as I still have quite a few questions, since I wasn't there when it happened.
1.) The tune...
2.) Old heads that had already been repaired at least once...
3.) Was the 2nd fuel pump checked to make sure it was working?
4.) Was the alky pump checked to make sure it was working?
5.) The level and quality of alky in the tank?
Etc., etc...

K.

Did we get to look over the logs and dyno print outs for this yet?

No, I have not. I'm pretty sure at this point the information will not be passed on to us... The only data I have access to is the very last tune currently in the ecm, which I downloaded to my laptop the other night. It alone told me enough that the tuner had no idea what he was doing with this car. Way too much timing, too lean of target AFR, and a lack of understanding of XFI & the needs of the car...

K.

It alone told me enough that the tuner had no idea what he was doing with this car. Way too much timing, too lean of target AFR,
thats one way of hurting it.cant believe the tuner would even start adding timing and leaning it out at 20 psi:(

No, I have not. I'm pretty sure at this point the information will not be passed on to us... The only data I have access to is the very last tune currently in the ecm, which I downloaded to my laptop the other night. It alone told me enough that the tuner had no idea what he was doing with this car. Way too much timing, too lean of target AFR, and a lack of understanding of XFI & the needs of the car...

K.
Check the crank reference angle also. It's wrong on most cars.

Check the crank reference angle also. It's wrong on most cars.

I was told the car's actual timing was checked with a light, I remember the "Buick DIS" box was NOT checked in the setup menu, and I don't remember what the CRA was set at. I'll have to look this evening...

K.