You can type here any text you want

Impossable to take off ALTERNATOR??????

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ncmalko1

#1 Eagles fan
The front bolt took about 3 seconds. The rear bolt is impossable to take of. You can't use a socket because it hits the valve covers. If you use an adjustable wrench the upper ground bolt gets in your way. I've literraly be trying to take off this bolt for 2.5 hours???

CAN ANYONE GIVE ME ADVISE??

Disconnect the battery both positive and negative.
Then use a stubby box end wrench and get it out. It is either a 13mm or 15mm one of the two. It also helps to pull the wiring harness as far back away from the alternator as possible so the wrench can swing. It is a pita, but that's how I've always taken mine off in the past. You might have to use the double wrench method if you can't get enough ummff on the stubby wrench. With the battery completely disconnected, you have no fear of hitting your wrench on the alt stud. So no unexpected POW!!! Whatever you do, don't forget to put it back on your new one as it's used to help support the weight of the alternator with the baby support bracket.
Hope this helps.

Patrick

First put the front bolt back on. The small "ear" that it goes through is delicate and you will break it and then you'll really be out of luck. Used ones are pretty hard to find and a new one will run about $100 bux at Autozone...

Do you have stock valve covers? I assume you're talking about the reinforcement bracket that bolts to that back of the alt...

There should be plenty of clearance for a short socket or a regular wrench- coming at it from the driver's side...

Can you post a pic? This process (swapping the alt)should take a grand total of about 5 minutes...

Ditto on that....

Gear Wrench baby, Gear Wrench all the way. Funny, I just picked up a 8 piece set of Gear Wrenches tonight at Sears. Standard 8 piece straight end set for $39.99, as well as replacing my lost 13mm Gear Wrench.

Heres the pic. I don't understand the nut. None of my rachet sizes will work on it either?

I took a picture but also have no idea how to post it?

Gear wrench sounds great, but I don't want to spend $40 to take off one nut.

Heres the pic. I don't understand the nut. None of my rachet sizes will work on it either?

I took a picture but also have no idea how to post it?

Gear wrench sounds great, but I don't want to spend $40 to take off one nut.

Sell the car.

The front bolt took about 3 seconds. The rear bolt is impossable to take of. You can't use a socket because it hits the valve covers. If you use an adjustable wrench the upper ground bolt gets in your way. I've literraly be trying to take off this bolt for 2.5 hours???

CAN ANYONE GIVE ME ADVISE??

I don't have an answer, but I feel your pain. Had to replace the pass side header and while I'm at it, the motor mounts are shot, since it's apart that far have to replace the oil pan gasket, might as well get to that leaky rear seal.

All I've been doing for the last few days is saying bad words:mad: I starting to think it would have been much easier to just pull the darn motor. It takes some weird combinations of wrenches to work on these cars.

Rich

I hear you Wendy. I sound like a little biotch today.

Thats not what I meant. I guess I'm trying to say that if you own a Turbo Regal you should have access to a FULL set of tools.

If you plan on keeping this car for any amount of time then you should start investing in tools. Check Sears for those ratcheting wrenches. SOME tools can be el-cheapo but don't skimp on the ones that you will need to put some oomph on.

follow the bracket down where it goes to the exhaust manifold and take the nut off the exhaust stud (1/2" or 13mm socket)
pull the alternator off with the bracket attached and reinstall same way

couldn't be simpler

HTH

Spend $40 on a set of wrenches that you not only need in this instance but will save you time on other things that you use wrenches for... Oh yeah and that one other nut that you only need it that one time for, oh and that other nut!!! Get my point? I spend more than $40 on one wrench, let alone a whole set! You will not only get done what you need to get done but you will be able to use it your whole life, and who ever gets them after that! Come on if you cant spend $40 on a tool to fix your car the right way maybe you shouldn't have a car like this! Not trying to be an ass but i'm just making a point.
,Dan

That's another nice thing about tools.... they're reusable! :p

Been a few years since I replaced my alt, but Autozone sold me a unit that I had to take apart and rotate the housing to make it fit. I don't remember having any trouble removing the old one.

That's the way..

follow the bracket down where it goes to the exhaust manifold and take the nut off the exhaust stud (1/2" or 13mm socket)
pull the alternator off with the bracket attached and reinstall same way

couldn't be simpler

HTH

10-4 to that.

Hell I bought a spare set of speed wrenches just to keep in the GN. Money well spent.
Bryan

Back