Increasing oil pressure at idle?

Skids

How is it done?? I've narrowed my ticking problem to lifters draining down while at hot idle. When hot at 800 rpm oil pressure is a fairly low 16 psi.......and the ticking begins, it goes away off idle. If I can just get the pressure up to 20 at idle, the ticking would stop. Cheers!

How is it done?? I've narrowed my ticking problem to lifters draining down while at hot idle. When hot at 800 rpm oil pressure is a fairly low 16 psi.......and the ticking begins, it goes away off idle. If I can just get the pressure up to 20 at idle, the ticking would stop. Cheers!

At 16 PSI hot, you should not have any ticking, which tell me something is going on. Listed "Hot idle oil pressure" spec is listed 10-15. Maybe the gage is off and it is lower than what it is saying. :confused:

A coupe of ways to increase pressure (Some listed, may not really a good option :tongue: )
Increase idle RPM
Decrease pump clearances (Were the pump clearances set-up correctly?)
Run a heavier weight oil (On a new motor this should not have to be done)
Cool down the oil some more
Decrease engine clearances.

The guage is a brand new Autometer, tapped off the oil pressure sender port. The re-build was a "freshen-up"....the mains looked good, the rods were replaced with .001 on the standard crank.....tolerances checked O.K......I'm running 5w30 oil.......the oil pump is a HV unit (adapter plate) clearances checked O.K -No oil cooler- ........mabey I just have a couple of bad lifters?