You can type here any text you want

Info needed on Roller Rockers.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Nasty Wendy

Perverted Lurker
Ok guys I have a set of 14 bolt Champion heads that have been on the shelf in my garage for a few years. It was recommended to me not to use the factory shaft style roller rockers that are available. I was instructed to use something that had more than 3 bolts holding them in place because of the spring pressure they'll see. So I researched and I found that the stud mount and Jessel style would fit the recommendation of the man that did some of the work on the heads (DLS). Now before I go any further I must say that I am in no position to pay the prices I've seen Jessels sell for but I may be in better shape than to have to go with the Scorpions. I currently have a very nice set of T&D's but they are the factory shaft mounted style I was advised not to run. I also have the rocker stands required to run them on 14 bolt Champion heads. So I have a marketable item that I can sell to fund the purchase of what I need. Whats out there that would give the strength and be affordable? Anything?

I have no experience with these issues. If my thinking that Scorpions are lacking in quality then please set me straight because they are priced right considering what I could get on the sale of my T&D's. I've seen the term 'Jessel STYLE' used and thought that maybe a company other than Jessel offered something that would do the job and be affordable. Input please.

If money is never an issue sure there is always something better like a Jessel setup...However I've seen under the valve cover of dozens of high hp buicks and most are shaft style. Would like to hear what the experts have to say though :)

Given my lack of experience and knowledge of this I treat DLS like E.F. Hutton. When he speaks, I listen.

Here is what happened to me. I am still using the shaft mount rockers from t&d with some pretty stout springs.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/index.php?threads/386992/

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I almost pulled the trigger on the GN1 aluminum heads today, but shit like this scares me. I need to keep searching about the aluminum heads. I thought guys had good luck with the scorpion stud mount rockers. I put a set on a Corvette several years ago and they're still going strong.

i have a set of 8 bolt gn1's here that im wondering the same thing about.

I had good success with scorpions and high spring pressures (i ran a solid roller.) Biggest thing though is to throw away the studs they come with and get the ARP studs!!!!

I had good success with scorpions and high spring pressures (i ran a solid roller.) Biggest thing though is to throw away the studs they come with and get the ARP studs!!!!

You're probably the one that gave the part number in another thread huh? I'll have to dig it back out. I'm putting stuff together for my spare engine.

What Kevin said x3. ARP #200-7201 from Summit. You will have to buy a set of 16. They are for a big block Chevy. The studs that come with the rockers and heads from Champion will break with heavy springs. No problems from the rockers themselves.

scorpion rockers and ARP studs work fine. Roller rockers made for the stock iron heads will no work either, the valve spacing is different. there is enough slop in the factory rockers but not rollers
Mike

Are these scorpion rockers something special for the GN1 aluminum head or off the shelf piece?

They are made for the GN1 heads. Some of the rockers have offset push rod cups due to the valve spacing.

I've been running the 14 bolt GN1 heads with scorpion rockers on the street for about a year and a half now. I went this route because I thought it provided the best value in performance and quality. Although I recently had a rocker arm come loose, I'd go with this combination again if I had to do it all over again. I usually drink beer when working on the cars so I'm pretty sure it was my fault that the rocker arm came loose.

I've been running the 14 bolt GN1 heads with scorpion rockers on the street for about a year and a half now. I went this route because I thought it provided the best value in performance and quality. Although I recently had a rocker arm come loose recently, I'd go with this combination again if I had to do it all over again. I usually drink beer when working on the cars so I'm pretty sure it was my fault that the rocker arm came loose.

Is there a pedestal under the rocker arm or no? I purchased a used set and got the ARP studs and poly locks from Champion. My used rockers did not have pedestals and don't SEEM to need them but I would like confirmation.

Mine have the pedestals, that's why I bought the 14 bolt heads. I was under the impression that the 14 bolt heads only came with pedestal mounts but I'm not positive.
image.jpg

Mine have the pedestals, that's why I bought the 14 bolt heads. I was under the impression that the 14 bolt heads only came with pedestal mounts but I'm not positive.View attachment 205855

So there is a pedestal that goes on the stud and rocker sits on the pedestal? Or are you referring to the stud as a pedestal. I cannot see what I need to see clearly enough in that picture. If you remove the rocker arm is there a pedestal that the rocker arm sits in along with the stud or is it just the stud that positions the rocker arm?

I've NEVER used these before so this maybe be 'dumb' question but .....

Oh I think I see what your saying, no, mine only have a stud that position the rocker arm. I think the "pedestal" your referring to is an aluminum adapter that allows you to run shaft style rockers. If I remember correctly that was an option from champion. I just realized that I've had these since spring 2011, not 2012... Also, I meant to tell you earlier that the scorpion rockers have a slight sewing machine sound to em. It's not too loud but it is slightly noticeable.

Back